• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Untame, bonded lovebird pair destroy everything in sight

krisrobs

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all. About a month and a half ago, we got two lovely bonded lovebirds, Chino and Chai. They are extremely affectionate with one another, and my husband and I don't mind that they may never truly bond with us. We let them out of their cage every day for pretty much the whole day, only closing their cage when they go in for food around 5:30 pm for the night. They are extremely inquisitive and playful and fly all over our apartment, exploring every nook and cranny.

We are happy for them to be out and using their wings and we can see how happy they are when they're playing around the apartment. However, they are getting very naughty and have taken to biting through just about everything they can get their beaks on. Our window blinds have taken a beating, and we've had to throw away about all of our succulents and other houseplants as they've destroyed them all.

We recently bought Avert bitter bite spray, which we put on some of our furniture and blinds - it seems to help a bit but not as much as I would have hoped.

We are trying to be patient with them, but often when they're not destroying something, they're just busy screaming as loud as they can, calling back and forth to each other even if they're only a few inches away from one another... Because we stay in an apartment block, we're getting worried that neighbours may soon start complaining about the noise.

We're realising that we really need to get them tamer, otherwise I'm not sure how sustainable this arrangement will be. When they're still in their cage in the morning, I put my hand in for 10-15 min so they can start getting used to being close to me. Generally, they're just nervous about either me or my husband being too close. They just sit as far away from me as possible in the cage when I have my hand in (although they used to totally panic and fly all over when I first started... progress?)

We really need advice on how to get these guys to behave and become a bit more comfortable with us. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-05 at 3.55.36 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-01-05 at 3.55.35 PM0.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-01-05 at 3.55.35 PM.jpeg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We're realising that we really need to get them tamer, otherwise I'm not sure how sustainable this arrangement will be.
It's not about bending the birds. It's about the "environment" you provide. Given free reign of course they will chew everything in sight. If you provide a bird safe room that has barriers (to the rest of the house) then they can fly and chew to their heart's content. No behaviour modification needed. This is the long term solution.

Your chances of taming a "pair" of bonded lovebirds is very low. They have what they want (each other) and have no need for you. Other than food. :)

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
they are getting very naughty and have taken to biting through just about everything

You have labeled this pair of Lovebirds as "Naughty" when in fact chewing is what parrots do. It comes naturally. I think the previous poster John hit the root of the perceived problem. The pair need boundaries for their natural behaviors. If you do some reading on the natural behaviors of Lovebirds in the wild you will have a better understanding of what is happening. What were your expectations for having this pair in your life?

In the wild they are cavity nest builders trees and often cacti. In order to have a nest they chew until they are satisfied the nest is complete.

Last edited:

krisrobs

Unfortunately we stay in a studio apartment, so it’s not really possible to just give barrier them off from the rest of the “house”.

This is why we feel we need to tame them to some extent.

It's not about bending the birds. It's about the "environment" you provide. Given free reign of course they will chew everything in sight. If you provide a bird safe room that has barriers (to the rest of the house) then they can fly and chew to their heart's content. No behaviour modification needed. This is the long term solution.

Your chances of taming a "pair" of bonded lovebirds is very low. They have what they want (each other) and have no need for you. Other than food. :)
jn

krisrobs

Of course I know it is natural for them to bite and shred in the wild. As I said above, we don’t have an option to give them a bird safe space. “Free reign” is allowing them to be out with us in a studio apartment that we’re cohabitating in. This is why I was hoping for some tips on behaviour modifications. The only other option for us is to keep them cage bound for much more of the day, but I really don’t think that’s fair and wouldn’t be able to do that to them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Unfortunately we stay in a studio apartment, so it’s not really possible to just give barrier them off from the rest of the “house”.

This is why we feel we need to tame them to some extent.

jn
How will taming do anything about the chewing if they are still given free reign? You're going to "tell them" to not chew? Which is what birds do for a lot of their waking hours no matter what kind of "training". You're approaching this problem from the wrong end of the stick.

Of course there's a way to provide that barriered area. It's a matter of how committed you are to adapting and making that happen. (It's as easy as hanging a strategically placed mosquito curtain)

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Active parrots may not be happy in restricted space such as a studio apartment. Parrots in general are and will remain wild for their entire life. We really do not tame them to what our needs are. We provide enrichment so they can carry out natural behaviors. I hope you find a solution and every one is content.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you chewing toys for them in they're cage? Maybe you can let them out( supervised) for a couple hours twice a day, so they can get exercise and play.;)

krisrobs

Do you chewing toys for them in they're cage? Maybe you can let them out( supervised) for a couple hours twice a day, so they can get exercise and play.;)
We do, but they're not interested in them :) Seems like we might have to do something like this. Thanks @Birdbabe!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The mosquito net is a great idea!
Be sure to have lots of forraging toys! My birds love cardboard tubes (from kitchen towel), cereal boxes, magazines/catalogs. I get string or shoelace and pierce squares of cardboard, ice lolly sticks and colourful paper and hang it up either out or in the cages. Hang treat sticks.
Maybe invest in a stand for them, and leave treats on it.
One of my 5 is a wild bird. I must be lucky, she loves to shred however has never chewed my furniture (which is all wood).

Be careful with succulents and plants, sansevierias and Aloe are poisonous to animals. My cylindrica is kept outside, I think gasteria is poisonous too. My snake plant is in my hallway and is toxic to birds and dogs, my dog knows not to even look at it and my birds don´t stop in the hallway, they fly down it to get from the living room to the kitchen and back.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, when I kept the 2 chicks that hatched here the other month, the noise increased a LOT. A bottle of wine sweetened the neighbours over ;)

Last edited:

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I would get them a lot of shreddable toys and things to climb and the like. They need things like this to keep their beaks busy. As for the screaming that is what they do but with some positive reinforcement there is a chance of getting them to not scream as much. My two are screamers/singer types but they don't go full tilt all day long. I have mine separated in different room which for you it would be an issue. Lovebirds are very smart and yes they are very nosy and love to get into everything. A stand like @Zara suggested would be a great idea too if you have the room for something like that. If you spend enough time around them I am pretty sure due to close proximity they will start landing on you or your husband and want to know what you are doing. They might become partially tame which would help. Use food as a way to try and win them over they are very food driven. Sorry for being all over the place.