• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Untame bird molting

RainMaker13

Checking out the neighborhood
My quaker parrot lucy doesn't trust us yet. She came from a previous owner who got too old to care for her, and shes going through her first molt in our care. I can tell shes in pain or discomfort as she screams alot more than usual, bites, and is overall cranky. I want to help with her pinfeathers but she wont sit still, so the few times i try she ends up jerking her head or something and causing me to accidentally press down on the feather or accidentally pull it out. Ive since stopped trying to help but i hate seeing her in such discomfort. What should i do?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Plenty of baths, as often as she wants. If she doesn't bathe at all try a gentle spritz from an unused spray bottle. Water will soften the sheaths and make it easier for her to remove them herself. The water will also cool and soothe her skin.

Last edited:

RainMaker13

Plenty of baths, as often as she wants. If she doesn't bathe at all try a gentle spritz from an unused spray bottle.
She never seems to like water, but i try to spray her every few days. I also noticed your message about clipping, and lucy is clipped. Since im still 17, My mom says i can only keep her if she stays clipped until shes well trained.. I want the best for her but that's something I can't really help at the moment.. Is there anything i can do?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The best you can do for her really then is keep her busy. Work on the training and just play with her. Share her toys. If you keep her busy it'll take her mind off the discomfort, and moving about will loosen the sheaths.
It really is a shame your mother feels that way. A lot of the best training, like target training can involve flying.

Last edited:

RainMaker13

The best you can do for her really then is keep her busy. Work on the training and just play with her. Share her toys. If you keep her busy it'll take her mind off the discomfort, and moving about will loosen the sheaths.
It really is a shame your mother feels that way. A lot of the best trading, like target training can involve flying.
thanks for the help!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree with @Ripshod. If you are pulling feathers by accident, then just leave her to figure it out on her own.

Try offering baths in different places. My birds like to bathe out of the cage in a shallow dish on the floor, but their fave bath is under the tap :)

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Now we need pictures. ;)
I agree with @Ripshod. If you are pulling feathers by accident, then just leave her to figure it out on her own.

Try offering baths in different places. My birds like to bathe out of the cage in a shallow dish on the floor, but their fave bath is under the tap :)