• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unsure what to do with moving house or stay

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Hey everyone

I'm worried about my bird's & cat's safety with the house renovation will be done section by section. They will be staying with me in a safe section away from the construction work.

or move to

The rent house

The room size though I cannot imagine all of my pets inside one room. It’s really small.

•African grey she has trouble with breathing
•Umbrella Cockatoo
•Lovebirds
•Conure
•cats one of them is asthmatic

Living with my family member is what's making it difficult for me. With the rent house, I wanted two rooms to split the birds & cats since the size is very small. But got a no from them …

Hence why I’m thinking about staying with the current house while the renovation will commence in July.
It’s just risky for my pets whether I stay or move to the rent house with my family. I’m so lost don’t want a pet hotel as my last option :sad2:
For a whole year not seeing them ..

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Going to bump for visibility.
I know their are members who went through the same thing. Can’t think of their tag name, but hopefully they will be along shortly

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do you have a friend or family member who could take the cat in? Then you can take the birds to the rent house.

Reactions: tka

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When my house was reno-d, we went over it all with the contractors. They knew to take great caution with the pets. Several of the guys owned birds, which helped.
Products were double checked for safety. We had a reverse fan thing in the doorway of the bird room - it blows air FROM their room into the rest of the house, so that the fumes from paint or whatever never get into their room.
They also let us know each night exactly what they were doing the next day, so for example if the power was out for several hours in our hot climate, we could spritz the birds with water or give them baths.
When the new stove was put in, the store we bought it from did the initial heating so that it would burn off the bad fumes. It was perfectly safe by the time it got installed.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Diffinetly don't do pet hotel! Poor little guys would miss you. For one year is too long. If your birds lived well in that he got do long, means nothing bad from the house has leaked out. Maybe you can get one of those scans that see all of the icky stuff. We had to do that before we moved in so that when they lift everything you can be sure nothing harmful leaks out. Maybe whenever you think dust and other stuff get to heavy, go to the rent house. You know your birds better than us

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
I told my family I’m willing to stay & tolerate the construction work. The pets need to be moved to the rent house. I don’t want to wake up seeing one of them die so suddenly.
Do you have a friend or family member who could take the cat in? Then you can take the birds to the rent house.
One of the cats is a senior and needs to take his daily medication. My sister offered to take care of him but her household is a mess plus with a cat with an FIV

The second place I could trust is my vet .. but it’s too cruel to see them locked 24hr

When my house was reno-d, we went over it all with the contractors. They knew to take great caution with the pets. Several of the guys owned birds, which helped.
Products were double checked for safety. We had a reverse fan thing in the doorway of the bird room - it blows air FROM their room into the rest of the house, so that the fumes from paint or whatever never get into their room.
They also let us know each night exactly what they were doing the next day, so for example if the power was out for several hours in our hot climate, we could spritz the birds with water or give them baths.
When the new stove was put in, the store we bought it from did the initial heating so that it would burn off the bad fumes. It was perfectly safe by the time it got installed.
Thank you it helps. I want to prepare a plan early on & be ready for whatever happens. The contractors are amazing and so caring. Customer service A+
I will invest in one of the reverse fans & air purifiers.
Diffinetly don't do pet hotel! Poor little guys would miss you. For one year is too long. If your birds lived well in that he got do long, means nothing bad from the house has leaked out. Maybe you can get one of those scans that see all of the icky stuff. We had to do that before we moved in so that when they lift everything you can be sure nothing harmful leaks out. Maybe whenever you think dust and other stuff get to heavy, go to the rent house. You know your birds better than us
Wonderful idea with the scan tool.TY
I just need to buy one of my own or ask the contractors.

Indeed it’s far too long for them to stay at a pet hotel. I can’t do this to them. Pet hotels in Dubai are awful I don’t trust them with my pets. A lot of pet owners lost their pets due to unknown reasons while staying in a pet hotel. All I see is neglect.