• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Unsure of sex of my two young budgies

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
Hi everyone!
I have 2 budgies. I bought them together almost 2 months ago. I was told the yellow one (Daisy) was female and the blue one (Sky) was a male.
As they have grown, Daisy has gotten larger then Sky, and their Ceres have changed too. Sky has white around the nostrils and Daisy’s has blue tinge around nostrils. After much reading of the various differences in colours as young birds ( haven’t had first moult ).
My question is... is Daisy a he and Sky a she?
Curious as Daisy is larger now then Sky so I am assuming because she is a he??
Or are they both males?? 7ACEF96C-CAB5-411B-8A6F-E78EDD9A6D7A.jpeg B98265C1-6B12-46FF-9B4B-F683F9A17211.jpeg

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
They both look like males to me. Gender identification is mostly dependent in budgies is with the cere. The coloured part above the beak. Females tend to have a whitish blue when they are young then slowly progresses to a brown when they are mature enough to breed and then to a light brown when they are really old. As for males the young normally have a pinkish purple which then progresses to a dark blue over time. They are so cute :budgie7::budgie8:

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
They both look like males to me. Gender identification is mostly dependent in budgies is with the cere. The coloured part above the beak. Females tend to have a whitish blue when they are young then slowly progresses to a brown when they are mature enough to breed and then to a light brown when they are really old. As for males the young normally have a pinkish purple which then progresses to a dark blue over time. They are so cute :budgie7::budgie8:
thanks for replying they are so sweet! Hopefully Daisy doesn’t mind me calling ( him ) a pretty girl!!!
They are awesome regardless but nice to know and adjust how I talk to them

budgie❤️

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madilynn
It's kind of hard to tell in the red-ish light... to me (and I may be wrong) Daisy looks like a boy and Sky looks like a girl. Young female budgies have a light blue cere with white around the nostrils. Young male budgies have a pink cere, or with certain feather color mutations, a deep pink or purple cere. Daisy has some sort of color mutation, though I can't tell what kind at the angle. (My baby boy, Snowy, for example, has an opaline recessive pied mutation and a purple cere) And don't worry, color mutations do not affect your budgie's health, though the word "mutation" might seem as though it's the opposite :)

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Now that your little boy is named Daisy, you will forever be telling people here that you know he's a "he" because every time you post a question, someone's going to say "BTW, do you know Daisy is a male?" :rofl: They are both very cute!

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
It's kind of hard to tell in the red-ish light... to me (and I may be wrong) Daisy looks like a boy and Sky looks like a girl. Young female budgies have a light blue cere with white around the nostrils. Young male budgies have a pink cere, or with certain feather color mutations, a deep pink or purple cere. Daisy has some sort of color mutation, though I can't tell what kind at the angle. (My baby boy, Snowy, for example, has an opaline recessive pied mutation and a purple cere) And don't worry, color mutations do not affect your budgie's health, though the word "mutation" might seem as though it's the opposite :)
Very interesting!! Time will tell I guess, funny how initially I assumed the opposite! Thanks for sharing

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
Now that your little boy is named Daisy, you will forever be telling people here that you know he's a "he" because every time you post a question, someone's going to say "BTW, do you know Daisy is a male?" :rofl: They are both very cute!
Lol a funny story for sure!! They are adorable