• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Unsure of sex of my two young budgies

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I surprise myself how many time I guess these questions correctly.
Daisy does look male and Sky female.

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
both males...

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Zaphradoo is that just a coloured bulb in a lamp or are you using special lighting? I only as because the colour looks like a reptile lamp - that can burn their skin and cause cataracts.

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
@Zaphradoo is that just a coloured bulb in a lamp or are you using special lighting? I only as because the colour looks like a reptile lamp - that can burn their skin and cause cataracts.
I have a full spectrum grow light led with parchment paper to diffuse it.
Is this ok? Or should I invest in a specific bird light?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have a full spectrum grow light led with parchment paper to diffuse it.
Is this ok? Or should I invest in a specific bird light?
To be honest you'll be fine with just a normal domestic led bulb over the cage. The problem is there's no green in those growlights - that could cause behaviour problems later. Let them see ;)
A moment of pedantry: if there's no green it isn't full spectrum.

Last edited:

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
To be honest you'll be fine with just a normal domestic led bulb over the cage. The problem is there's no green in those growlights - that could cause behaviour problems later. Let them see ;)
A moment of pedantry: if there's no green it isn't full spectrum.
Ok thanks!! I will switch their lighting

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
You really don't know till (12?) weeks in. Female is pink or brown, and male is blue or purple. Good Luck!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You really don't know till (12?) weeks in. Female is pink or brown, and male is blue or purple. Good Luck!
Incorrect.
Budgies can be sexed as early as 3 weeks of age. Unless you're referring to their adult colour which is typically around 8 months of age. Young females are always pale blue, males are pink/violet.
The Internet is full of bad information.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Incorrect.
Budgies can be sexed as early as 3 weeks of age. Unless you're referring to their adult colour which is typically around 8 months of age. Young females are always pale blue, males are pink/violet.
The Internet is full of bad information.
Also adult colour will remain a very pale blue/white in adult females or slowly change to a tan/brown given breeding condition. Adult males will be deep blue or pink (in certain mutations.)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That second photo definitely reveals the blue one a hen, in my opinion. Take another in natural light and I'd love to see the beautiful yellow budgie's cere then! I agree that yellow does look male in that light. They are gorgeous!

budgie❤️

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Madilynn
Also, just an extra thing I noticed in one of the pictures: It looks like the budgies are sitting on a sand-perch?? If so I recommend taking that out of the cage unless you have plenty of natural wood perches in there besides to sand-perch because sand-perches can irritate the bottom of your budgies' feet.

Zaphradoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Holly
Also, just an extra thing I noticed in one of the pictures: It looks like the budgies are sitting on a sand-perch?? If so I recommend taking that out of the cage unless you have plenty of natural wood perches in there besides to sand-perch because sand-perches can irritate the bottom of your budgies' feet.
Yes I have natural perches too

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
Most definitely both males! Them Ceres are prominent, white rings don't matter. The female ceres are flattened looking, and males are more rounded.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What are the colored kights and are they safe for budgie eyes?