• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I have a Ringneck. I got her from a bad situation at a pet store- she was sick, had a severely imbedded ankle band and severe clipped wings. She was at the petstore for 7months and I’m assuming with little to no contact (they just kept transferring her to different sister stores trying to sell her at their asking price- the last two petstore she was at the employees talked about how mean she was). I am honestly surprised she survived all this.

She is finally healthy but wants nothing to do with human hands. She is very curious about the world around her and likes watching.
I used to take her out regularly after she got over her infection and her ankle healed. I stopped recently to try to get her to come out on her own to no avail. I’ll leave the cage open for her to come out on her own- I’ll put a perch right outside the door.

When I take her out I have to chase her around in the cage and I have to pick her up with a shirt (so she doesn’t bite me - she bites hard! gloves don’t work.). I have somewhat taught her step up with a perch to take her back into her cage (she has a flight cage) but again I have to follow her around the room with the perch/stick.

The problem I am having is she just tries to get away from hands constantly (I’ve even played videos of Ringnecks being friendly to people - she tries to bite the hands in the videos).

Part of the problem is one of her wings is being over preen( vet is not sure if this is from her wings being clipped too short Or if it’s behavioral) so she can’t fly and I think this freaks her out . When I first brought her home she would land hard on the bottom of cage because she couldn’t initial perch well either. I installed a platform in the middle of the flight cage and then had the perches near the plat form so the falling distance would not harm her.

Things I have tried are treats and stick/clicker training, just sitting by the cage And showing friend parrot videos.

She has a flight cage, bird light and lots of foraging and enrichment in her cage. She gets a variety of healthy mostly organic foods.

Could some one recommend helpful books and videos ? Or someone one have insight on what else I can try? Anybody have experience in socializing an older bird or been in a similar situation.
Thank you!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
When I take her out I have to chase her around in the cage
The problem I am having is she just tries to get away from hands constantly
again I have to follow her around the room with the perch/stick.
STOP CHASING HER! Sorry for shouting but it's so obvious.
She can't fly so make sure there's a way for her to climb back to her cage, give her the freedom to come out of the cage in her own time and generally back off. Forcing anything is not training.
Give her a little freedom of choice, I'm sure one day her inquisitiveness will overcome her fear. Start now by a ssociating your hands with good things, like treats and toys.
Use the search box at the top of the forums, search for 'target training', I think that may be more helpful but leave her for a couple of weeks before you start - let her settle.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
I'm so glad you could save her from that horrible situation and help her get better!

About your questions, just give her some time. She's had a rough start of her life, and now she just needs some time to build her trust again. A first thing to do is stop chasing her around to get her out or in her cage, she will only get more scared of hands that way!
Just let her go on her own pace, and maybe try to coax her back by giving her some food in her cage.
You could also try dropping a treat in her bowl while you walk past her cage, so she gets some positive experience with you. Talk to her softly and just give her time!

I'm sure there will be some other members along soon, who can help you a bit more than I can. I will tag some members for you.
@Zara @Khizz @Monica

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This thread confuses me some! :roflmao:

does the title need changing maybe @Blueberry ?

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Yah I’m confused:lol:i like your bird though!

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
I have stopped chasing her - At certain times I have had no choice. I had to giver her medication, foot baths, trips to the vet. Her recovery took over 3 months. After her recovery I did start to take her out to give her a bigger world(especially if the over preening of her one wing is associated behaviorally- anxiety, boredom) once she is out she loves sitting by the window and exploring. Right now it’s been two weeks of just leaving the door open. Great advice about treats and she will take them from my hand depending on what it is and if she wants it. Toys she’s not too into but she does have them.

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
I have done research on my own by reading about parrots- all I can on Ringneck Parakeets and watched parrot training and socializing videos. I have tried the slow process of getting her used to hands with associating them with good things since I got her( other than the meds, foot baths , taking her out and letting her vets examine her- she loved the car rides tho!) Things I have tried are treats and stick/clicker training, just sitting by the cage And showing friendly parrot videos. I am searching to find a solution because I do not want to cause her anxiety or fear every time she comes out of the cage. I don’t want to keep her cooped up in her cage either because again she enjoys being out. I am not an expert on birds but I am very willing to put the work in and learn.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The only thing you need now is patience. She didn't have a good start in life, she has been captured for medicating. All that has set you back. Take things slowly, she has big trust issues she needs to get over but I'm sure you will get there. Taking treats from you is a great sign.

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
Hi! The photos are suppose to go with my earlier post- I haven’t posted in a while and had difficulty I can’t figure out how to delete it

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi! The photos are suppose to go with my earlier post- I haven’t posted in a while and had difficulty I can’t figure out how to delete it
Would you like them merged?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for helping her! Trusting again can take a long time - years. Just be steady and consistent, keep showing her love, and wait patiently.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Thank you for helping her! Trusting again can take a long time - years. Just be steady and consistent, keep showing her love, and wait patiently.
Baylee despite I rescued her as a baby (she was 10 weeks old) her wings were horribly clipped and her right wing was not in the right position, back then I didn’t knew what I know now so I didn’t took her right away to a vet but a few months later I did because she was sick and then vet told me everything about her wing and shortly after, I joined AA... she got sick in November-December 2012 and I joined AA in February 2013. It took me 2 years with advice from many here in AA for her to allow me to touch her right wing. She allowed me to pet her anywhere except her right wing. But I believe she had some sort of PTSD? from the trauma in her right wing. And after 2 years of working with her she finally let me touch her right wing. I can’t believe my baby is almost 10 years old. :eek: :eek: :scared3:

@Blueberry
It’s great that you rescued her! Be patient she will show you the way. welcome back to parronthood :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Things I have tried are treats and stick/clicker training, just sitting by the cage And showing friend parrot videos.
Where was she when you gave her treats?

Where was she when you tried the stick/clicker training?

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
She takes treats from my hand inside and outside the cage- it depends on if she wants it or not.

I tried the stick/clicker training outside the cage. She is more receptive to me outside the cage.

QUOTE="Monica, post: 3364045, member: 1577"]
Where was she when you gave her treats?

Where was she when you tried the stick/clicker training?
[/QUOTE]

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Her willingness to take the reward may depend on how hungry she is or not. It can help to train before meal times.

Have you tried the training through the cage bars while she's inside?

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
No, I have Not tried training out side of the cage. That is a great idea. I’ll try that after she gets a little more comfortable with me being near her while she is inside the cage. Today she came out for about 7 minutes! she tried to fly twice .. I felt bad but then after the second landomg she went to visit her neighbors (2 lovebirds) before she put herself away. I found this article about parrot body language that has helped me with her. And today I opened and closed her cage throughout the day putting small amounts of food and just leaving the door open for an extend period of time then closing it for a little while and repeat. Thank you for all the articles and advice :)

The photo is right before she put herself away

Attachments