• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unpredictable Biting Emerging, from normally very sweet bird. Can anyone help?

dooglek

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a very sweet crimson bellied conure. She is three years old and I’ve had her for two and a half years. I want to preface this by saying I am pretty familiar with how to properly train a bird, I did a LOT of research before getting her and applied what I learned. I understand the importance of positive reinforcement, how punishing or reacting to a bite can backfire, and the principle of the best way to stop biting is to never get bit. 

However Chloe the crimson conure has started biting, and I just do not understand why, or what I should do to prevent it. If anyone can help I would appreciate your advice.

Its started in the past week or so. We have always been super affectionate with her (my girlfriend and I live together with her) and she has always returned affection. She is incredibly gentle, and will preen our hair and ears, and we give her kisses on the beak and she will flick her little tongue on our nose. She’s really cuddley and always wants head scratches. But now I think about four times in the past week, she has just randomly bit me hard enough to draw blood, when seconds before she was being sweet to me as she always was. No behavior on my part has changed, no overexcitement, loud noises, dietary changes, schedule changes, not even any temperature changes, as I know that can sometimes make birds hormonal.

The last two times were the worst, and are what prompted me to make this post. The first time, I was lying in bed and she came up to my face and started flicking her little tongue on my nose affectionately, I was cooing at her and telling her thank you, and she just randomly chomped down on my nose as hard as she could. It was so abnormal for her that I did unfortunately react, I gently picked her up and pulled her off me, and then left the room to look in the mirror (lots of blood). Two days later (tonight) a very similar situation, I slowly gave her a kiss on the head and she gave me some kisses on the nose, and then bit down on my lip and took a piece out. More blood. I am sad to say that I did react again, out of frustration (and honestly my feelings were hurt) and I picked her up and put her in the other room, so I could be away from her for a second.

I know its possible the drama and attention may be reinforcing this behavior, so I am doing my best to stop reacting, but I don’t understand how this behavior emerged in the first place. And it’s happened so quickly.

Does anyone have any tips, experience, or advice?

Thank you so much to anyone who took the time to read and respond.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Was anything else going on around you both when the bites happen?

For now I certainly wouldn't trust her around my face!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'll never understand how people can be bitten and bleeding and not react.
Another bird would react to being bitten.
I react by yelping and removing myself. My yelp is as loud as the pain.
I think the best way to 'not react' is by keeping calm, but it doesn't mean show no pain and stay there.
Remove yourself from the bird's area and the temptation to bite again.

I think your bird's age may be the main reason. Many, once they hit hot breeding age go bonkers for a few years.
The raging hormones and desire to find/protect a mate and nest has them doing things they wouldn't normally do.
Without an outlet for these natural desires, the natural responses are subverted and a bit twisted.

I think most birds themselves are surprised when they bite unexpectedly like this.
There is just so much internal drive and confusion, it came out in a bite.

Be patient, keep your distance (no more face near the bird) and wait for your bird to get over this bout.
Some go back to their sweet selves, others (like mine) change forever.
Take each day as it comes. Realize you may need to accept things are changing.
Just do your best at this time.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Your bird is growing up and that means hormones! Read the links provided they are very helpful

dooglek

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you everyone for the responses!

Yeah im honestly really scared her behavior will change permanently... She was truly the sweetest bird ive ever met before this.

Others on another forum mentioned hormones, cozy huts, getting enough sleep etc...

So to acknowledge some possible causes:

I NEVER pet her anywhere besides the head. Every once and awhile under the wing. She's tried to scooch into me a few times, but I of course try to distract her and give her a toy as soon as that starts.

She does have a cozy hut that she sleeps in. I know these are controversial but the breeder I bought from gave me one, and Chloe has always loved it and slept in it. Should I remove this? She has her own room she sleeps in, with a smaller cage with the cozy hut in it. We always keep a really dim night light in there (she's afraid and agitated by the dark) but her cage is almost completely covered so its super dark in there even with the night light.
HOWEVER we've always struggled to get her to sleep 12 hours. She has eternal and overwhelming FOMO. If we put her to bed early, if even a pin drops she's at the door scratching at it trying to get out. Whenever we get up, the second she hears us walk by she's squawking or chewing on the door trying to get out.

Perhaps this could be related to quarantine... Before my girlfriend and I were both working, so on a regular basis she was alone in the house for at least a few hours, and could nap. Now that were home all the time, she still naps, but probably not as often. Perhaps she's sleep deprived?

Some more information about Chloe: She is flighted, and is never caged. When we leave, she hangs in the bedroom, which has been bird proofed and has plenty of perches and toys.
Her diet is Harrisons pellets, along with fresh fruits and veggies. She also gets small seeds throughout the day when she poops in her designated poop perches.

So for now I am definitely not going to let her near my face, or ride on my shoulder (which ive already been doing out of fear/my feelings are still hurt lol) and will probably remove her cozy hut. Should I be trying to force her to sleep more? Putting her to bed earlier even if she complains hearing us still up?

Thank you again to everyone for all the help, im incredibly grateful!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
To me, if they're not wanting to sleep it's not a big problem. Mine let me know if they're overtired and wanting bed.
Others may feel differently.
As for the change. Babies and young birds are cuddly like puppies.
Most adult birds aren't. Many adults also go through some behavior changes, including biting.
Don't let the changes bother you. You do not want a baby, or a mate.
You want a flock friend. Mutual respect is something you can cherish and enjoy for years.
I no longer cuddle 2 of mine, yet as babies/young birds, they were velcro feathered lap puppies.
Our evolving relationships did take some work, but what we have now is as fulfilling as what we had years before.
You'll be fine. Just take a deep breath and relax.
Onward and upward towards the next step in your birds life. Adulthood. :)