• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unknown Conure condition

Feisty

Moving in
Real Name
Janel
Hello everyone,
I’ve been to the vet today. Not sure what is going on. Lucy’Bella seems to go through, what seems as drunk’n spells. Vet thinks it could be what is called “focal seizures”. However, we are trying anti inflammatory meds. She was hospitalized in July for a severe upper respiratory infection, she was in critical condition. Spent 2 weeks in hospital. Anyways, I just wanted to share this video. I wanted to see if anyone out there has seen or dealt with something like this. Okay then, guess you cannot share a video on here. The only way I can explain it is, she glides from side to side, seems disoriented and drunk. If I snap my fingers or call her name, she snaps out of it...very weird.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
We would love to have the opportunity to see that video. The easiest way to post a video (for me anyway) is to post it to YouTube then share to this site.

PacoBirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Macey
Try seeing if there is a cause to the spells. Pay attention to see if there is a dog outside, bird noises somewhere, right after flight, etc. This might give you a clue to the cause of the disorientation. It does seem odd that she snaps out of it when you get her attention. Could she be hormonal?
P.S Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Feisty

Moving in
Real Name
Janel
Hello everyone,
I’ve been to the vet today. Not sure what is going on. Lucy’Bella seems to go through, what seems as drunk’n spells. Vet thinks it could be what is called “focal seizures”. However, we are trying anti inflammatory meds. She was hospitalized in July for a severe upper respiratory infection, she was in critical condition. Spent 2 weeks in hospital. Anyways, I just wanted to share this video. I wanted to see if anyone out there has seen or dealt with something like this. Okay then, guess you cannot share a video on here. The only way I can explain it is, she glides from side to side, seems disoriented and drunk. If I snap my fingers or call her name, she snaps out of it...very weird.
Hello everyone,

Feisty

Moving in
Real Name
Janel
We would love to have the opportunity to see that video. The easiest way to post a video (for me anyway) is to post it to YouTube then share to this site.
I believe I just attached the video to my forum.

Feisty

Moving in
Real Name
Janel
Try seeing if there is a cause to the spells. Pay attention to see if there is a dog outside, bird noises somewhere, right after flight, etc. This might give you a clue to the cause of the disorientation. It does seem odd that she snaps out of it when you get her attention. Could she be hormonal?
P.S Welcome to the forum!

PacoBirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Macey
It looks like hormones (compared to what I've seen in females). Seizures, focal or not, are not controllable. Does she just do it in her cage?

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Are you talking about the staring and swaying around? If so that is what I call the conure strut. The kind puff up a little and sway around to make themselves look big and mean. Tango does this anytime he wants to show you he is mean and doesn’t like what you are doing

PacoBirb

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Macey
Are you talking about the staring and swaying around? If so that is what I call the conure strut. The kind puff up a little and sway around to make themselves look big and mean. Tango does this anytime he wants to show you he is mean and doesn’t like what you are doing
I was going to say she was doing it to make you get her out of the cage. She got attention from doing it so she kept doing it.

Last edited:

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
:welcometrain:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, I definitely don't see anything that looks neurological to me. I wonder why the vet thinks it could be?

Feisty

Moving in
Real Name
Janel
It looks like hormones (compared to what I've seen in females). Seizures, focal or not, are not controllable. Does she just do it in her cage?
No, she will do this on her 6 foot tall jungle gym, sometimes when she is hanging out on me. Some days are good, others she seems like she is going to collapse. There has been a couple of times on me where she will lose balance.

Feisty

Moving in
Real Name
Janel
I was going to say she was doing it to make you get her out of the cage. She got attention from doing it so she kept doing it.
This young lady has the most freedom any bird could have...lol she will hang on me, her 6 foot jungle gym, or her 78’ cage. She has complete freedom.

Feisty

Moving in
Real Name
Janel
Hmmmm, maybe? She just turned 6 months old in December. I would think the Avian vet would know/think of this? She has complete freedom on my home. When I am home, the cage is open. She will venture on me, her 6 foot jungle gym or her 78’ cage.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
The behavior in the videos is very common sun conure posturing.

Feisty

Moving in
Real Name
Janel
That doesn’t look mean, the eyes are out of focus and she losses balance. Lucy’B, when she doesn’t like something...she will let you know, she doesn’t like something. We can be having the time of our life and once she settles, she goes into a disoriented daze. I definitely appreciate everyone’s input on this though. I am just wondering if this is common or what to do and to stop this. It freaks me out! ( and no I do not show that reaction to her)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I’ll see if I can get videos of tango doing this tomorrow and post them. My sun conure does this all the time. So unless Tango has been having seizures for 12 years I still say what your video shows is normal posturing they do