• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unk had good scare today

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Uncle is getting ready for lambing. all the pens are up in the barn ready to go. he was moving large round bales closer to the barn with forklift. he got one bale on the piercer with forks slid along side of the bale. that was end bale and it's been raining here cats & pitch forks. so the bale was pretty wet. as he lifted it up it started to tip to one side. yup, the fork lift, bale and him tipped over. scared him good, but nobody was hurt TG. the neighbor heard him go kersplash and came running. uncle got out turned off the propane and went to sit down, shaking. the neighbor tip the forklift back upright with his own forklift and moved the bales for uncle. I teased Uncle that he most likely had to change his undies and not just his jeans. I think I'll be busy cleaning lambing pens this spring. LOL

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Sometimes it's better to be lucky then good... If you know my story about the fall from 3rd level of our scaffolding that should give him something to make him feel not alone. Really glad he's ok, could have been a really bad day.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
talked to him about 45 minutes ago, he said he is pretty much ready now. just waiting on the ewes. 100 pregnant ewes this year he is going to be busy.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that your Uncle is OK.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I talked to him tonight, all the ewes are in the paddock behind barn, so he can watch them for signs of labor. this year he will be doing a lot of the work himself with help from the one neighbor and son. his former roommate turned into the biggest head-ache he has ever had. I will be going up if I can find a fid sitter for over night. moving 100 ewes plus both guardian dogs is a ton of work. Suffa, our first guardian dog ( Great Pyrenees) has been retired due to severe arthritis in his hips. he is now the guardian of the yard. Unk bought another guardian dog, from another sheep farmer, named the Queen. she was raised with sheep and is Suffa's great niece. so far she is doing a great job. I have not met her yet so I plan on being knock on my butt if I go up. I am stranger and have to mind my P&Q's around her. Suffa bite me the first year he was on duty, I still carry the scar on my thigh.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad he is ok!!