• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Unique Additions

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What kind of nectar powder are you using for them? Wet and dry? :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The loris are the birds with the "bottle brush" tongues and the squeaky voices?

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I must admit i considered a Lorri (thats how we call them in holland) but alas! My heart fel in love with the Senegals, still i love the colorful Lorri's, they look briliantly :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It's very easy to fall in love with some of the beautiful colours but the reality check comes when you look at what type of bird you personally are comfortable with and what your bird budget can afford.

We live as very exotic bird owners through the birds that all our members have as a community. The same way that we travel to places some of us will never travel to through AA members who live in those places - Africa, Asia, Europe. S. America and Australia and are kind enough to post the pictures of where they live.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
I plan on getting them Nekton 'Nektar', and, ofcourse, the Iris isn't one that can live in nectar, so they'll also have the option of Lory Pellets with their fresh fruits and veggies.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I come across lories every now and then - there is a pet shop that has a bird groomer who comes in every two weeks to do beak/nails/wings as needed. Pet Supplies, Pet Accessories, and Many Pet Products | Animal Feeds & Needs The only pets they sell are the guinea pigs they breed and it isn't a mass production set-up. They also have 2 in-store birds - the husband who started the business bred birds but passed away several years ago; they have a Meyers and a gorgeous tiel who live at the shop. They also have an outside fenced in area around the shop and in good weather they have llamas and different types of fowl out.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Awww :( That story makes me think of Brandi, a Scarlet I know who's daddy died. She's been plucking herself ever since. She keeps telling us she's daddy's girl.

Only other birds we got, aside from the fids, is the geese. We added a goose and gander Sebastopol(splash mutation), and took in a special needs Sebastopol x Toulouse, second generation. Cally and the Gaggle Ofcourse we also got our cats, dogs, sugar gliders, and snakes.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I love mixed families - human or otherwise. I haven't experienced anyone plucking due to loss - Loofa came as an adoption from Texas. Her owner was moving to the west coast and couldn't take her. Loofa wasn't a serious plucker, and though her plucking has diminished I still find small feathers in one of the water bowls. She has no bare spots - so whatever is being plucked is minimal. Loofa shares a cage with Miss Daisy and they are (definitely) both girls. Daisy is aka Jaws but Loof is alot of show and not very much bite.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I don't know the story behind Cally's beak. What happened to her? She is a beautiful little girl and apparently has the attitude to go with the beak.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
I don't know the story behind Cally's beak. What happened to her? She is a beautiful little girl and apparently has the attitude to go with the beak.
Well the only thing me and the breeder can speculate is it wasn't genetic, as her parents had never thrown off genetic defects in all their clutches. We think it was trying to push through a rubbery membrane that caused it. The pair that produced Cally ended up laying a late clutch in August that wasn't expected, as August is typically not their breeding season. The goose wasn't on layer feed, since she wasn't expecting them to mate this late in the year, and that could of contributed to Cally's troubles pipping. She said she could see the gosling(Cally) trying to pip, but didn't hear anything from the shell. They decided to intervene and found she hadn't even internally pipped. Using a magnifying glass and a drill bit, they internally pipped for her, noting that the internal membrane was rubbery in consistency. Despite hitting blood, she did survive. We speculate that, since it was a late lay with improper nutrients for laying, which may of contributed to the membrane consistency, maybe her upper bill pushed up against the rubbery membrane during pipping, but just couldn't get through and ended up malformed as a result.

The breeder was willing to keep Cally if she couldn't find a home, but did admit that having a house goose(as Cally would need to be), was very daunting and an overwhelming thought for her. We drove 16 hours to adopt Cally, since no one locally was willing to provide the care Cally needed, and I was very drawn to her, like it was meant to happen. She's such a sweet heart <3 We love her soooo much!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
She does look like a sweetheart. :xflove: It also sounds like you have a whole menagerie in your house.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
We had our menagerie days when our kids were younger - cats, dog, bunnies, guinea pigs, hamsters, ferret, hermit crab, newt - I'm sure that I'm forgetting something - ah - fish!

Babysat the class hedgehog and a class bunny. I envy you the sugar gliders - they always looked adorable in pet stores but none of the kids were interested.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Had all of those when I was younger :p Miss hedgies, they're so adorable! <3 Also really miss ferrets, but I have enough predatorial conflicts to manage as is. My snakes could harm or kill my birds, gliders, cats, dogs, and geese... well, one of them could, the other isn't full grown yet(Burmese Python juvenile and yearling Red Tail Boa, both female)... The gliders could harm my smaller birds.... The cats or dogs could harm my smaller snake, gliders, and birds... So I got enough on my plate, 'cause I know the ferrets can kill gliders, parrots, and my small snake! They sure are a hoot, though! I used to have 4.

The gliders are awesome, but are nearly as much work as the fids. Gotta fix their staple diet by blending and freezing, then the fruits and veggies with their staple, the fleece toys, safe wheels, then they fling their food on the walls unless you make them a 'kitchen'(cut Tupperware), tent time for bonding, they pee and poop on you... but it is super convenient that they can sleep in a bra pouch during the day while you're up, since they're nocturnal.~