• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unidentified eye condition?

Niran Jay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Niran Jay
My keet Timmy hatched with an over excessively teary eye. Since hatching his right eye has always been very wet and teary . No one has been able to tell me what it is, not even the vet, or what caused it. He has a lot of yellow crust around his eye which I always clean off for him and when it tears a lot his feather get stuck to his eye lids and literally glue the eye shut. I had to carefully clip the feathers around his eye so it wouldn't get red and swollen from being glued shut. He's been doing much better since I clipped the feathers, but I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this in their birds.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
see a avian vet asap

Niran Jay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Niran Jay
see a avian vet asap
No avian vets whatsoever even remotely close to where I live. He's had it for a year now and they don't allow birds on planes here, like wtf?!
But, I've been researching . Can't find this anywhere on the Internet so I guess I'll keep him under scrutiny and keep his eye clean..
Like i said It's been like this since hatching so I don't think it's life threatening .. maybe a deformity? His siblings didn't come out with any problems and he was from the same clutch ..

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Well I have seen infection with crusty dried discharge, yes and goopy liquid. I also had a little bourke parakeet that had a small growth in corner of eye. Treated with the gel for 10 days and it has never come back. Sometimes it can clear up with only the gel other times needs antibiotic from vet in addition to gel

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
But can't really say without a vet if this is infection or something else. I am not a vet so always best to seek a vets advice.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
You could give the gel a try, it might help and does contain natural antibiotic properties