• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unhinged budgie who won't play with toys.

sydney98

Moving in
Real Name
Sydney
Hello, here's my first post to the forum after using it for advice for the last month and a half. FYI, I use she/her and he/him for my budgie interchangeably.

My budgie named Gina/Gino (not sure the gender) has just turned into a little menace over night. She/he hates when I leave the room and CHIRPS until I come back. Once I'm back in the room, she CHIRPS until I open the door to let her out. I've let her forage the floor with my supervision but just this past week I had a scare with him as he had a jam packed crop and his chest was HUGE. I got worried that the floor foraging had something to do with the crop issue as the whole time she's on the floor she's finding freebie seeds that she's previous kicked out of her cage. I no longer want to let her free forage since I'm more aware of all the random dangers she can get into but that leaves her craving floor time even more. The kitchen is a safe zone as I keep it the cleanest and am able to see what she's getting into BUT the bad part is, he doesn't know how to play with the myriad of toys I have for him in his cage. So anytime he's in his cage during the day, he wants out out out and nothing to do with the toys surrounding him. The toys aren't plastic or acrylic and are very natural instincts friendly. They're small, destroyable and soft enough to peck/break into, yet she still ignores them always! I've made sure to show her me playing with them inside her cage, and she'll give them a little check out but no less than a minute later she's over it and wants out of the cage. I've also done some clicker training with toys. If he touches them or chews a little, I click the clicker and give millet, and repeat that a handful of times until he decides I'm a waste of time and divebombs the floor. Please, I'm begging, help...

Attachments

cookiesmom

Meeting neighbors
what color is your budgie's cere? that will help with gender. Also, try sprinkling some millet on or near the toys and play with them yourself

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
How much time does your budgie spend in their cage? How large is the cage?

If they are a solo budgie, it is likely that they will want to be with you all the time because you are their whole flock. You might consider adding a budgie friend, if that is practical for your situation. This will provide a lot more engagement and social interaction than any amount of toys.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When was the last exam by an avian vet for this bird? If not recent I suggest you take your bird in for a check up. How much does this bird weigh and what is the age?

sydney98

Moving in
Real Name
Sydney
what color is your budgie's cere? that will help with gender. Also, try sprinkling some millet on or near the toys and play with them yourself
I forgot to mention, I also tried the millet tactic and it only worked until the millet was eaten up. & the cere started brown/pink which led me to think she was a girl, and this was after her first molt so I assumed she reached maturity where it wouldn’t change colors again. But she’s gone through another molt in the last few weeks and her/his cere went from brown to light blue. I spoke w/ some vets this past weekend when I panicked about his/her crop and they said boy, but something in my gut is telling me otherwise.

sydney98

Moving in
Real Name
Sydney
When was the last exam by an avian vet for this bird? If not recent I suggest you take your bird in for a check up. How much does this bird weigh and what is the age?
I only got her/him about a month and a half ago, so I haven’t been to the vet yet. I’m looking to schedule a check up this month though. As for weight, I don’t have a scale… but that’s an investment I need to make. & age! that’s a good question. She/he came from a rescue so I’m not sure. She/he has a purple anklet though and according to Audubon, that means she/he hatched in 2021, but that’s not for sure. When I got her/him, the first molt had already happened and the white cap was present so I know for sure, older than 4-5 months.

sydney98

Moving in
Real Name
Sydney

If they are a solo budgie, it is likely that they will want to be with you all the time because you are their whole flock. You might consider adding a budgie friend, if that is practical for your situation. This will provide a lot more engagement and social interaction than any amount of toys.
I only got her/him about a month and a half ago, so I haven’t been to the vet yet. I’m looking to schedule a check up this month though. As for weight, I don’t have a scale… but that’s an investment I need to make. & age! that’s a good question. She/he came from a rescue so I’m not sure. She/he has a purple anklet though and according to Audubon, that means she/he hatched in 2021, but that’s not for sure. When I got her/him, the first molt had already happened and the white cap was present so I know for sure, older than 4-5 months.

Well up until about 2 weeks ago, little budgie was still really scared of me so she/he never left the cage. That was her safe space. Now, I’m having issues letting him out since all he wants to do is be on the floor. No amount of shelves, perches or tables makes her want to be anywhere but the floor and my shoulder is only a temporary launch pad for the a flight to the floor. & yeah unfortunately, I live in a studio apartment in an old renovated house so more than one budgie isn’t realistic, although I wish. I was also selfish in that I wanted my budgie to bond to me and not another budgie. But when I’m home, since it’s a studio, we’re always together. I work a 9-5 but rarely leave home once I’m done at work.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Just from my experience you might want to think about getting them a friend! When I got Oliver he was the sweetest thing that loved spending time with me. Months went on and I had to go to school and stuff and he also turned into a menace. Biting, screaming and flying away, not wanting me to leave, chirping loudly until I came back, etc.. all he wanted was attention so I got him a friend to keep him company since I started going back to school. Best decision ever! He immediately went back to that loving boy he was and stopped trying to seek my attention 24/7 since he had someone while I was away.