• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unfertilized finch eggs

MadDash

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Madison
Hello, so this is sort of an odd question but basically I was wondering how often and how many, if any at all, a finch hen will normally lay unfertilized eggs. See, I mostly stick with reptiles as pets and one reptile that I think would be a fantastic addition to the pet trade are captive bred African egg eating snakes, since the few egg eaters that are in the trade are almost certainly wild caught. I’m pretty sure that this is because the newly hatched babies are so small that they require very small eggs—the size of a finch egg—while the adults can have coturnix or button quail eggs depending on how big they are. I think you can see where I’m going from here. I’ve been toying with this hypothetical idea of breeding egg eating snakes while also keeping finches for their eggs to provide a steady supply of food for the babies. I’ve had an interest in birds for a long time but I went with reptiles since they’re typically a bit more low maintenance, however I’d love to have a bird someday and I think finches are (loud) but lovely little birds. I doubt that this whole setup with finches and baby egg eating snakes would be feasible but the question will stay on my mind and keep bugging me until I ask somebody, so here we are. If anyone has an answer to this it would be very much appreciated, thanks :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would recommend you buying the eggs for your snake finches would not be able to lay enough Eggs to feed your snake

MadDash

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Madison
I would recommend you buying the eggs for your snake finches would not be able to lay enough Eggs to feed your snake
Thanks for your answer, I'm not too surprised haha. I won’t be getting any egg-eaters anytime soon but I might still get a lovely finch someday!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Whew.

Well, I guess if you got zebra finches, maybe 4 hens and really research the diet and light cycle and so on, you’d have plenty of eggs.

Here’s more information https://efinch.com

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That would be hard on the hens though to continuously be laying?
Yes, that’s why I recommended the website. By doing research you can learn about how many clutches they can safely have (2 or 3) in a breeding season, how to rest them, how to provide good nutrition etc.

I thought maybe with 4 Madison could rotate them somehow. I don’t know! This is hard for me - I can’t imagine feeding my finch eggs to anything! :D

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
with six zebra finch hens breeding out of season for 2 clutch is a year you would only get 4-5 eggs per clutch for each bird that is not enough to feed your snake and your libel to have a $500 vet bill for one of your finches It is cheaper to buy the eggs than that I bred Zebra finches

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
with six zebra finch hens breeding out of season for 2 clutch is a year you would only get 4-5 eggs per clutch for each bird that is not enough to feed your snake and your libel to have a $500 vet bill for one of your finches It is cheaper to buy the eggs than that I bred Zebra finches
Good point! Thanks for chiming in