• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unexpected new pet Flutters into my heart

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
the only exception is mosquitos and the moths
When it's come to insects that eat part of me I have no problem to make their life shorter.
Ticks are the insect I hate the most. One morning (the same morning as I had a competition) in July I woke up with 4 ticks on my left leg.
And I'm very careful and do everything to avoid ticks because I get so sick of their poison. This summer has been the worst ever. I have never before seen so many ticks.
Do I enjoy killing them if they are found on my body? Yes I do! :evilgrin: And they have no purpose, so I don't feel bad for it either.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ow Man!! I missed this thread :sad3: How cool that you saved this butterfly! You´re so kind ❤
What else does Monday eat? I´m curious :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I’m the same way, the only exception is mosquitos and the moths that come in the seed on occasion. No matter how much faislaq freezes the seed, they always seem to appear..
Freezing does work. That's why I freeze all bird food (seeds and pellets) for at least 4 days before putting them into ziploc bags or Vittle Vaults. As @HolliDaze recently leaned, so called "seed moths" are actually Pantry Moths and can live in any kind of food. We were finally free of the buggers and had a recent explosion from a bag of pellets. *sigh*

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The last post in this thread is by me to links about where these "pantry moths" come from. There are a ton of types but they're actually from weevils. I don't believe there are any other larva/bugs that cause them.

Thanks Lafeber! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
These aren't weevils (thank goodness) they're moths. I have a feeling weevils would be harder to deal with. :confused:

The ones we're taking about are called Indian Mealmoths or Pantry Moths and the traps I buy are specially made for them and have a pheromone disc to lure the males.

But @Rain Bow as you said in the other thread they do seem to magically get into plastic bags, too, though I don't know how!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your right they are different, I tought it was one thing into another but the "orders" are different per Wikipedia. When I looked them up initially it was for a sunflower seed issue. Those fit the proper description to what I had going on @ the time which was larvae & webbing in the bags.

All I know is after much research the best way to be rid of any of these little creatures of great kitchen & home issues is to vacuum seal & then there isn't all the electric & freezer space wasted!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Your right they are different, I tought it was one thing into another but the "orders" are different per Wikipedia. When I looked them up initially it was for a sunflower seed issue. Those fit the proper description to what I had going on @ the time which was larvae & webbing in the bags.

All I know is after much research the best way to be rid of any of these little creatures of great kitchen & home issues is to vacuum seal & then there isn't all the electric & freezer space wasted!
They're all bad & must be destroyed! Punch.gif It sounds like freezing is good for most. :)

Also, I saw the beautiful Mr Monday the other day. He's still going strong! :fairy:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The larvae start out very tiny and can either crawl or chew through anything easy to munch so they chew tiny holes then eat whatever is inside and leave webbing everywhere in whatever they infest. I had them bad at my old house and finally got rid of them at our new one, then got a bunch in some treat seeds for Dobby so they're here now again. :mad: The moth traps help and freezing the food. We are trying to put all their preferred food in the canning style flip top jars and air tight containers. I do know the infra red bug zappers work too as they are attracted to infra red lights. Amazon sells all kinds of small and medium sized ones cheap if anyone wants to try them. We have to go through old packages of grain style food and cereal as they get into anything and keep hatching more and more. We also try to keep up on the food debris Dobby drops in his favorite spots too but it's a loosing battle most times as you never get it all unless you can keep everything surgically clean.