• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unexpected new pet Flutters into my heart

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
As much as I want to take the cockatiel at my work home, that’s not my new ‘pet’.

I rescued this new guy, Monday (name, not day) , in the truest sense of the word.
I found him, with a broken leg And injured wing, on my way home from work.
Bleeding hearts...

E72D95B7-DAE7-4988-B790-4B1D3C0E54E7.jpeg
It’s hard to tell in the image, but Monday (a male monarch butterfly) is missing one of his fore wings and half of one of his legs. He can’t fly. I found him on the sidewalk and walked a mile with him in my hands.
Now he’s home, eating a mixture of simple syrup, water, soy sauce, and a few small pieces of watermelon. Supposedly this is a good maintenance food for butterflies.

Update! Got a pic of his wings open while writing this thread
image.jpg
Poor guy =(

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Do you know if he’d be the last generation of the year?
Where did you find him? Was he somewhere searching for a place for the winter? I think it's to early for last generation, but let's hope for that. :)

I have some butterflies in my basement every winter. They will need a cooler place for the winter so not indoors in a house.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Where did you find him? Was he somewhere searching for a place for the winter? I think it's to early for last generation, but let's hope for that. :)

I have some butterflies in my basement every winter. They will need a cooler place for the winter so not indoors in a house.
Perhaps in the laundry room by the back door? Too bad I won't be able to see him if he does need the cold.
He was on the sidewalk. It was 32* f today, 63 or so when I found him. (just below 0 c iirc)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It makes me sad that he lifts his injured leg like an injured dog. I know he can't feel pain (in the traditional sense at least) but it can't be comfortable =(
More recent study suggests that insects actually do feel pain like us, and can struggle with chronic pain after an injury. Their nervous system has similarities to ours, they have nociceptors/pain receptors like we do, and they display learned avoidance of painful stimuli. He probably actually is responding to his damaged leg by keeping it lifted.
Which isn't helpful information at all, I just love entomology...:blah:

Sending out mad love to sweet little Monday! Feel better, buddy. :bluhug:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
More recent study suggests that insects actually do feel pain like us, and can struggle with chronic pain after an injury. Their nervous system has similarities to ours, they have nociceptors/pain receptors like we do, and they display learned avoidance of painful stimuli. He probably actually is responding to his damaged leg by keeping it lifted.
Which isn't helpful information at all, I just love entomology...:blah:

Sending out mad love to sweet little Monday! Feel better, buddy. :bluhug:

Awwwhhh...pain has a purpose. It helps us to know we are hurt & to try to stop us from getting hurt worse or for us to get help.

Many of us have swatted a mosquito or squashed an ant...I hate to kill a spider but admit if one is trying to share my bed its too close for comfort. I have to the best of my ability tried to catch insects & release them inside...My nemesis the cricket just seem to taunt me...Not even sure how they get in...Luckily I have not had one in the house for awhile. Its all about survival for them & for us. We try the best we can...

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Awwwhhh...pain has a purpose. It helps us to know we are hurt & to try to stop us from getting hurt worse or for us to get help.

Many of us have swatted a mosquito or squashed an ant...I hate to kill a spider but admit if one is trying to share my bed its too close for comfort. I have to the best of my ability tried to catch insects & release them inside...My nemesis the cricket just seem to taunt me...Not even sure how they get in...Luckily I have not had one in the house for awhile. Its all about survival for them & for us. We try the best we can...
I’m the same way, the only exception is mosquitos and the moths that come in the seed on occasion. No matter how much faislaq freezes the seed, they always seem to appear..

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Perhaps in the laundry room by the back door? Too bad I won't be able to see him if he does need the cold.
In the winter they get into dormancy so they are not awake. Often people think they are dead when they find them in their basement and clean them away without knowing that they still are alive.

Tortoiseshell butterflies in dormancy.
sdim8485.jpg

sdim8492.jpg