• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Uneven wings

mangosaur

Meeting neighbors
Hi Everyone! Just looking for advice, my conure Darcy came to me clipped 2 months ago. However, one of his wings looks damaged and is dramatically shorter than the other, he can’t get any lift from that wing so when he spooks, he will fall on that wing and has broken a blood feather due to this. I am wondering if I should cut his other wing super short as well to “uneven” them out?

It just makes me so sad that he’s grounded:( my lovebird loves being able to fly around and I want the same for him. (This is a complete side note, but I don’t think he’s ever flown before considering is only a couple years old and has always been clipped)

Attachments

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Poor guy. It's always so tough to see them grounded like that.

Yes, I would personally clip the other wing to even him out. Has he molted any of his primaries since you got him? I'm wondering if the intact leading primaries I see in the photo are newer than the clipped feathers or if he has a "show" clip. If they're not new, I would cut those as well since that style of clip can lead to a lot more breakage.

mangosaur

Meeting neighbors
Poor guy. It's always so tough to see them grounded like that.

Yes, I would personally clip the other wing to even him out. Has he molted any of his primaries since you got him? I'm wondering if the intact leading primaries I see in the photo are newer than the clipped feathers or if he has a "show" clip. If they're not new, I would cut those as well since that style of clip can lead to a lot more breakage.
I haven’t noticed any molted feathers since I’ve had him. And I think they are new feathers in the short wing? I couldn’t see any straight-edged cuts on that wing at all, so I wonder if he was just in clipped on that wing and chewed off the tips, since a couple of the primaries looked a little “torn.” He does spook, and I just get scared he’ll fall from his stand and land wrong, but maybe I’ll just move his stand to ground-level