• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Undigested Seed

TayTayLee

Meeting neighbors
Hello! I have a two year old male Cockatiel, Skyler. He’s been having undigested seeds in his stool for quite a while now (though it’s often on and off) and a couple days ago he had a very dark green, almost black poop with a tarry consistency. He is acting rather lethargic, puffed up and sleeping a lot more than usual, and his stool is switching between a little bit of seeds inside or really watery with little actual poop in it. He is eating and drinking fine and still chirping.. We just moved to Idaho and the vets in my area specialize mostly in dogs, cats, and farm animals, but I found one who does exotics as well. If I take him there, should I do a fecal testing to see what’s wrong? Blood work? Could Probiotics help?

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds like he is bleeding from the upper digestive tract (black stool). The vet will tell you what the problem is and give you a program to get him well.

Any bleeding from the digestive system is serious and your bird needs vet care ASAP.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would get him to the vet asap. I hope he'll be okay.

TayTayLee

Meeting neighbors
I scheduled an appointment for Saturday, which was the soonest they could get him in. What is the cause of inner bleeding?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There can be lots of causes of internal bleeding in the digestive system. Is there any way you can get him seen by an exotics vet as an emergency? His symptoms are concerning.