• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Undigested food in stool...vet checked, gram stain, all is well?

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

I learned about salt many years ago when I had some problems with very aggressive cockatiel parents that were pluckers of the babies. And also adults that were plucking themselves so bad they were self-mutilating themselves. Adding a salt spool (the brown one with minerals for hamsters) Eliminated these problems. Some of my early prolase problems with tiels was a combination of a sodium defeciency and lack of proper lighting. When birds passed whole seed, and tests showed that it was not a bacterial or yeast problem, first I would give acidopholus (sp) and then boil rice in lightly salted water, and use this water, 50/50 mixed with their drinking water, and this resolved the passing of whole foods and seeds.

Also...PPD is not the only disease that can cause improperly dugested food. Megabactia can also cause this.
HMM. now I question the salt. If the blood work came back fine..but would they check a sodium level? They check for heavy metal, but do they check for sodium regularly?

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Thank for the links Mary lynn. Those were much better than what I have found previously. Seems as though testing for sodium levels is not one of the tests they run normally.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Don't know if this will help you, but when I put my birds on antibiotics for any reason, I give them some unflavored yoguart afterwards. :)

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Don't know if this will help you, but when I put my birds on antibiotics for any reason, I give them some unflavored yoguart afterwards. :)
Hmm. probiotics. I would worry about the milk and such in it.
She goes back to the vet next week, so we will see hwat they have to say. thank you everyone for all of the input.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The activity of the bacteria that turns milk into yogurt destroys most of the lactose in the milk (what a bird can't digest) and makes it digestible for birds. My vet says it's fine to use yogurt, but like everything else moderation is the rule.
ML

M

M.C Bird Rescue

The activity of the bacteria that turns milk into yogurt destroys most of the lactose in the milk (what a bird can't digest) and makes it digestible for birds. My vet says it's fine to use yogurt, but like everything else moderation is the rule.
ML
definately. I tend to say no to things that are questionable.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
At the clinic, when we put a bird on antibiotics, we have used bene-bac to give them some good flora. I had a bird that did not digest properly and had to give him pancreazime.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

So, lets break this down...
I can give small amounts of unflavored yogurt. NOW question..have you seen the probiotic yougurt? Whats the score? Can i give this and be ok? I mean even in small dosages something BAD could be BAD in a bird as small as a IRN.
Next....the antibiotic is Baytril, and shes eating fine.
She is also taking ACV water, throughout the day for a week.

I have dealt with birds and passing like this, we had a cockatiel growing up and she sadly died before my dad could get her to the vet :(
She never was treated though, and I was like 12.
Now at 29 I am seeing it again and a little like OVER cautious.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You will see many of the so called digestive aid products being advertised now at very high prices. Read the label - they are all the same ingredients as Walmart's unflavored plain yogurt. For my GWs the vet said to give them about a teaspoon per day. H&J won't eat yogurt every time so I have resorted to giving them Acidophilus powder sprinkled over their food. You can get it at almost any regular old drug store. You cannot overdose with a probiotic.

Baytril is a very good broad spectrum antibiotic. Which means it kills many different kinds of bacteria. Baytril is a bad antibiotic because it kills many kinds of bacteria. The adsorption rate for orally administered Baytril (Cipro/enrofloxicin) is about 1 3/4 hour, so it is best if you give the probiotic about that length of time after medication. Not a big deal though, if you can't.
ML

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Very good to know Mary Lynn. Thank you for all of the information.
I will definately try it. i always have plain yogurt here for the dogs.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How weird, I just had one of my tiels to the vet for the undigested seed in the poo.A bacterial upset. Shes on Baytril and Im tube feeding her baby bird formula with a tiny bit of peanut butter in it. She didnt look well, but was eating, so off we went. she still continued to eat, I gave ger plaiin grits, scrambled eggs and she ate some spinach and cooked rice with quinoa.,weve had three days with no seed in the poo....and she looks "brighter". Whew, hope all turns out well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.