• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Undigested food in poop - update

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry you and Ollie are going through this, and I really hope something can be done to help him.
:sadhug2:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I have spoken to/emailed vets both sides of the Atlantic over the weeks. Everyone is of the opinion Ollie has PDD/ABG. The London vet wants me to send feathers off for a PCR test. I have tried to pluck chest feathers five times over the Easter weekend without success.

Yesterday I spoke to a wonderful homeopathic vet in Austria. I am optimistic that with her help we can make Ollie's life a little better. She advised against anti-inflammatories like Celebrex or Meloxicam for a bird with digestive troubles as they can cause micro bleeding of the digestive tract and harms the mucus membranes.

I realise too I have been extremely negative about Ollie's problems recently when actually I should be working to give him strength and healing. Lifting him up instead of bringing him down. That I can send him energy through the open palms of my hands (I don't have to touch him). We have lots of energy points in the palms of our hands. Also there is power in words - to pick a healing word and say it to him five times a day.

She also said that really there was no point in trying to pluck chest feathers for the PCR test. That we humans want to label and compartmentalize everything. We have discounted most other diseases... like bacteria, fungus etc. Let's treat what we see right now. Again, this is a huge weight off my mind. She is going to send a package of remedies for Ollie hopefully on Monday.

Strangely Ollie has been eating better yesterday and today... trying other things. Back to eating sprouts. He's now eating celery (an old favourite). And he's eating his evening mash with gusto rather than trying to pick out all the peas... although he still loves his peas.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up for Ollie.

Food is important.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird used to have horribly discolored feathers, yellow and white, I gave him some sort of oily feather vitamins in his food and he slowly moulted out all the bad feathers and normal green ones took their place. He was always skinny and had missing flights on one wing. When they did grow in they'd grow in funny and hurt him so he usually plucked or broke them out.
I had no clue what the issue was back then in the late 70s and later I heard about pdd or whatever it is. I didn't take him to the vet because he was doing great, his feathers were normal, and he was happy and eating fine.
One day when he was around 20 he pulled out a blood feather that we had no clue about so we rushed him to the bird vet. They were amazed he was 20 and fixed the hole in his wing they found. After that we started doing regular checkups and tried to improve his diet. I eventually asked if they tested for it and I think they said there was no evidence or reason to test and he continued on happily for about another 11 years with minor issues till the end when he got very sick before we realized he wasn't just having a off week.
But whatever his issues he just continued being Nerd and doing Nerd things and being my best buddy so I think Ollie can do well as long as he's happy and loved, and you do the best you can to give him good food and things to play with. Look how far he's come in your care, I don't think he's ready to give up and I know you aren't :bluhug:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Ollie looks so happy eating his food! :heart: I’m glad his appetite has been better, and I hope the homeopathic vet works out!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
YUmmm Peas!! :eating::eating::eating:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Fuzzy I'm so glad you do finally have a diagnosis, and Ollie looks so happy devouring those pretty peas.
Hopefully he will live a long and happy life, he's beautiful too!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
That's awesome, he's come so far he deserves to be healthy and comfortable to continue his adventures with Kobe :bliss: