• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Undigested food in poop - update

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thank you @Hankmacaw. Sorry to be a bit slow, but when you say he should culture a sample for fungal growth - a sample of what? He is not going to do an endoscopy - just X-rays and bloods. Hank overcame Asper?? I thought once they had it, it was with them always?

Ahhhh - editing to say - I see, a culture of the respiratory tract.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Once a bird has had asper as severely as Hank and Ollie - yes it is always there in the background, but it can be contained. For a bird like Sarah's (@Macawnutz ) Maui who had a mild case that was contained to one location., aggressive treatment can rid them of the fungus forever. With early and aggressive treatment the fungus most times does not have the opportunity to form granulomas.

A granuloma is inactive, but they can become active for various reasons and need to be watched.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks, Mary Lynn. I didn't know granulomas are a more advanced form. I presumed because it was contained/inactive, I had no real need to watch it. Shows how little I know about Asper. :( I am extremely grateful for all this info.

Ollie was less frantically hungry this morning. He flew into the conservatory and stayed there for 5 minutes before then flying into the kitchen to eat mango and sprouts. He ate a HUGE amount of sprouts yesterday. I'm sprinkling them with the digestive enzyme you advised and probiotics. Then dripping some DMG on top. Interesting re his choice of foods... has refused cooked mash for two nights in a row.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is a picture of encapsulated granulomas;

1584200137248.png

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Ollie went to the vet this morning. He had bloods taken and X-rays. The vet was great! He contacted my London vet before seeing Ollie to double check on the tests he should take bloods for and to ask him which lab he used as the one he usually uses was closed! All went well. He said that from the X-rays Ollie's air sacs on the right hand side of his body are very scarred and thickened. That he wouldn't be surprised if the Asper had spread to the GI tract and that Ollie was "winding down". I don't know - maybe 7 years ago my London vet X-rayed Ollie and said the same about the air sacs and his initial thoughts were that the Asper had spread, but bloods apparently showed that the Asper wasn't active so had to be old scarring. Ollie is an active bird and flying never leaves him out of breath. I guess we just have to wait for the results.

I caged poor Ollie the night before. I felt so bad when he expected me to open the door and I didn't. He growled on and off for a lot of the night. We left first thing in the morning. I do like Ollie's spirit - it was the first time I had seen him display in anger. He's usually such a gentle soul. When we got back some hours later, he went to sleep in his big cage first. An hour later he came out and flew to the kitchen and went to sleep again on the fruit bowl.

Then he realised how hungry he was. The poor mango was stripped!

Nothing was safe, not even my breakfast.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
He's so beautiful.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Aww he is such a beautiful birb :heart:

I am sorry that poor mango had to feel the wrath of his anger:lol:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd say that he has flourished under your care, even with his health issues - whatever they may be at this time. He's clearly well cared for! Great feather condition, and sounds like he's in great physical condition, too!

I hope you are able to get some answers! Sucks not knowing and not being able to figure it out even with multiple trips to the vet!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I actually think it would be comparatively good news if it was asper in the GI. Not that asper isn't serious, but it at least CAN be treated, as opposed to PDD which can't.
My thoughts too, enigma.
I'd say that he has flourished under your care, even with his health issues - whatever they may be at this time. He's clearly well cared for! Great feather condition, and sounds like he's in great physical condition,

I hope you are able to get some answers! Sucks not knowing and not being able to figure it out even with multiple trips to the vet!
Thank you, Monica.

Thanks too, Clueless and JoJo&Loki.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ollie is such a character! That poor mango really felt his wrath :laughing2: I hope that something can be done for him.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Fuzzy Ollie is a long way from the end. Jasper's air sacs are totally ruined the Dr. says they are just like crakley cellophane and constantly get little infections in the air sac. Most of which she overcomes on her own and when she can't she gets some antibiotic. Also, one of her air sacs is ruptured - the hole has never healed and it puffs up now an then when she flies.

Lets talk about sugar - there is nothing nice to say about it. Especially for a bird with Asper. When cultures of asper are grown in a petri dish in the lab, the medium used is a sugar based medium. Fungus thrives on sugar. Cut down on fruits. All fruits are high in sugar content and encourages asper growth. Additionally, sugar metabolizes directly to fat and fat contributes to other diseases such as atherosclerosis.

It's sounding good. If the asper is in his digestive system, the medication will have direct contact with it and that is the best way to kill it.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thank you tka and ncGreyBirdLady. :heart:

Poor Jasper, @Hankmacaw but good to hear that she is perfectly able to survive. I didn't know a bird could get little infections in the air sac. One big learning curve for me. Chico also has a ruptured air sac in his cheek which has never healed. Ollie ruptured one in his neck once when he flew into a window many years ago, but luckily it healed quickly.

Thank you for reminding me about sugar. Of course yeast thrives on sugar! I've just been desperate for him to eat anything because of the weight he is losing. The Emeraid is also full of sugar... but it also has Omega 3. I suppose good for ABG/PDD but not so good for Asper. Apart from the mango, he eats a lot of sprouts and my cooked grain & legume mix in the evening.

If the asper is in his digestive system, the medication will have direct contact with it and that is the best way to kill it.
Sounds extremely positive!!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Well, I got the test results on Monday. There are no antibodies for Asper... which means his Asper isn't active. The right side of his lung is damaged/congested. I know the air sacs on the right side are also scarred and milky. The proventriculus is large but not sure if it is larger than normal for an Amazon. Certainly not grossly extended. It was difficult to compare with the X-rays of 7+ years ago. I have asked the vet to send me the test results and the X-rays.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well that doesn't sound awful so sounds like there are things that can be figured out to help Ollie with whatever is going on with him right now. :bluhug:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers up for your buddy.