• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Undigested Food in Poop.. Not recovering since 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Are you saying those ball shaped things in his poop are NOT seeds?

Could it be pus?

Bird pus is very different to mammal pus. It is thick and semi-solid. Here is a photo to show you what I'm talking about. Keep in mind this was a very large chunk of pus that my pigeon passed in her droppings one night. Smaller chunks are much more common:

savvy_angel_devil

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
swati
Swati, one more thought. Is it possible that some of his food is bad? I don't know how you test if seed or other food has a fungus or not, maybe someone else does. I store my birds' food in the freezer and just keep small amounts out that will be used within a week. Just something else you might look into.

Also, your vet may know of another way to get something similar to those anti-fungal and probiotic products that I mentioned. Those are just the ones I am familiar with and I like to use products designed specifically for birds, but I'm sure there are others out there that might be easier for you to get. :)
HI Mitthi is on a number of suppliments to washout any tracesof metal posioning. still waiting for test results. All his food is refrigrated and ordered from US and i also keep an eye on the best before date. He love Zupreem brand so that is what his 70-80% of his diet is. for now he is sensitive to a lot of food like lafeber's avi cakes n nutriberries, seeds even millets. i feel so bad for him as he loves them. He gets lots of fresh things n nuts daily even cookable food. I m trying to do everything i know or my bird friends n the vet tells me to be safe. :sad4:

savvy_angel_devil

Real Name
swati
Have you been weighing your baby? You need to be able to tell if he's holding his own or losing weight. If he's losing weight he needs to be supplimented with hand feeding formula. What diet is he on now? If it's possible he's ingested something he wasn't supposed to you can put Slippery Elm in his water which helps with digestion and also peanut butter which can bind to metal particles to remove them from his system.

Ginger
The doc told me to keep an eye on his weight. I got a gram scale n track his weight. Mitthi is on a number of suppliments to washout any tracesof metal posioning. still waiting for test results. All his food is refrigrated and ordered from US and i also keep an eye on the best before date. He love Zupreem brand so that is what his 70-80% of his diet is. for now he is sensitive to a lot of food like lafeber's avi cakes n nutriberries, seeds even millets. i feel so bad for him as he loves them. He gets lots of fresh things n nuts daily even cookable food.

savvy_angel_devil

Real Name
swati
Sounds like possible heavy metal poisoning to me. Do you notice any extra saliva in his mouth? Or after eating does he clean his beak excessively?? Does he yawn alot??
I sent him samples for testing. He doesnt do any of the above. Except on the days he has bad poop like the pic he is active n naughty and his normal annoying self. :lol:

savvy_angel_devil

Real Name
swati

savvy_angel_devil

Real Name
swati
Are you saying those ball shaped things in his poop are NOT seeds?

Could it be pus?

Bird pus is very different to mammal pus. It is thick and semi-solid. Here is a photo to show you what I'm talking about. Keep in mind this was a very large chunk of pus that my pigeon passed in her droppings one night. Smaller chunks are much more common:

Oh boy.. Its not that as it is hard and can be cracked.. Why do these poor babies have to suffer.. Mitthi is the sweetest bird so full of LOVE. There is not a single dull moment with him in my life. He made my life colorful..

abbydp

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I second the PDD possibilty unfortunately. You can also consult with Dr. Burkett in Durham, NC. He will consult by phone or email. He has also had good luck with celebrex and I think metacam. My sweet little Peep was too sick for too long before we found him, but especially since your boy is holding his weight you might have a great chance. There is no definitive test, but an x-ray might show changes since he is not digesting food. We are all here for you and pulling for your sweet little guy.

savvy_angel_devil

Real Name
swati
I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I second the PDD possibilty unfortunately. You can also consult with Dr. Burkett in Durham, NC. He will consult by phone or email. He has also had good luck with celebrex and I think metacam. My sweet little Peep was too sick for too long before we found him, but especially since your boy is holding his weight you might have a great chance. There is no definitive test, but an x-ray might show changes since he is not digesting food. We are all here for you and pulling for your sweet little guy.
His metal posioning result came out negetive. the Doc fears PDD too. He will be on petcam n Ciproflaxicin. The good thing is that he is eating well, maintaining his weight and everytime he has an episode he gets better after 1-2 days n become normal. I just wish he is comfotable n happy as long as he lives. I love him so much.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Mitthi is just beautiful! Loved the video, what a little cutie pie.

I hope that your vet can figure something out for him.

Have you tried sprouting his seed for him? I know you said that he has a hard time with just seed, but once it is sprouted it is much more healthy since the composition has been changed.

Best of luck!!

savvy_angel_devil

Real Name
swati
Mitthi is just beautiful! Loved the video, what a little cutie pie.I hope that your vet can figure something out for him.Have you tried sprouting his seed for him? I know you said that he has a hard time with just seed, but once it is sprouted it is much more healthy since the composition has been changed.Best of luck!!
Hi. He has fresh sprouts twice a week but I had to stop coz of the monsoon season as they go bad fast. now making them again..

mariec

Real Name
Marie

Thats my baby MITTHI.
He is soooo cute;)

I'm sorry he is having trouble. It's terrible and hard to deal with one of your babies getting sick.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Ariahna

Swati, Mitthi is adorable. I love his dancing, and despite what others think....I :heart: the IRN crazy eyes! :D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Mitthi is so adorable. I will be keeping him in my thoughts and prayers. :hug8:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Hi Swati. You and I have emailed a few months ago. I am so sorry that Mitthi is still not well. He is beautiful. Lots of prayers that this is NOT PDD. Hugs to you, sweetie.

savvy_angel_devil

Real Name
swati
Hi Swati. You and I have emailed a few months ago. I am so sorry that Mitthi is still not well. He is beautiful. Lots of prayers that this is NOT PDD. Hugs to you, sweetie.
I remember Kathie.. we love ur store.. please keep praying. today was a bad day.. the only thing he ate was the cookable food that i ordered from u. he is healthy n poop is just perfect then suddenly he starts throwing up n poop is so bad.. he is on meds. i just wish he makes it as his good life just started.

Status
Not open for further replies.