• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Underweight cockatiel handfeeding, crop problems.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Just got a food gram scale delivered, the baby cockatiel (35-36 days old) I'm nursing back to health after the mom stopped feeding him is 51 grams, at 5 weeks he should be the double. I don't know if he lost that much weight under my care or the 12+ hours the mother did not even go into the nest box.

It's my 2nd day with him and on the first few feedings as I was not prepared for this I fed him what kaytee's exact suggested for 5 weeks, 8cc, clearly I was overfeeding and that's why the crop was not going down. I just fed 4cc after getting his weight. And the crop looks much much smaller. Could it be that the crop was overstretched ? Also at this point what is best ?Feeding according to weeks or weight, and how often should I be doing it.

He does not look dehydrated. His poops look moist and healthy.

He is energetic when handled, even tries to jump out of the tub I have him in.

He does the hunger sound when I'm close to the box.

He was fed the papaya cream remedy to empty the crop out and it worked and he was fed papaya and formula mixture until now.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It could have been stretched. You should feed according to his size, I think... at 5 weeks he needs 3x a day BUT since he’s smaller, don’t feel bad if you need to feed more often.
@Zara what are your thoughts?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Feeding according to weeks or weight,
Weight.
10%, so 5CCs to avoid overstretching the crop. As for how often, feed the bird then monitor, see how long it takes until its almost empty but just has a little left. Then you will know approx how long it takes for him to digest and you can create your schedule from there.
Be sure the crop empties completely overnight.
I'm glad the cream worked well.

Haroobom

Strolling the yard
Weight.
10%, so 5CCs to avoid overstretching the crop. As for how often, feed the bird then monitor, see how long it takes until its almost empty but just has a little left. Then you will know approx how long it takes for him to digest and you can create your schedule from there.
Be sure the crop empties completely overnight.
I'm glad the cream worked well.
I fed 7 p.m. would that be good to let it empty over night or should I feed again before midnight ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I fed 7 p.m. would that be good to let it empty over night or should I feed again before midnight ?
Definitely another feed after that. You can´t leave him too long overnight. You want the crop to empty then you feed, not empty and then he has to wait hours for food. That is how malnourishment happens. Feed as late as you can before you go to bed, then again as early as you can.