• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Understanding this behavior

ABM

Strolling the yard
Hi friends,

Click below:
Interaction of my birds

I have 2 budgies. Male n female. Both same age...around 2yrs. Blue (birdie) has always been less social, scared and irritable in general. Pista (green) is the more social, expressive and tries to get the attention of her female, but Birdie (blue) is always is this mode; snarling (like in the video).

My question is is this a normal behavior of a budgie? Snarling constantly. They both sleep in different cages in the night but spend the day together in the same cage.

Any and all feedback about what exactly is happening in the video would help me understand them better.

Thanks
ABM

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
lol. Well if I were to guess I'd say that this is the female budgie equivalent of saying "listen dude, I'm just not that into you". This is normal behaviour as long as it doesn't get aggressive. You can see his eyes pin in attempting to interact with her but whether thats from excitement or aggression, I'm not sure. Does he ever become aggressive to the point of grabbing her foot or actually biting at the feet? Does she? Do they preen each other? Do they feed each other? Do they chatter to each other? Budgie interactions can be noisy and appear threatening but unless there is actual aggression, it's just theatrics. Little females generally write the rules. Little males can't read. It is what it is...

ABM

Strolling the yard
Thanks for that insight! To answer briefly.... This is her normal and everyday behavior towards him. Of course I have noticed they do preen each other and feed each other. Almost like a love hate relationship. Need each other but cannot do with each other ☺.

The male has actually even in my close presence, many times tried to grab the wing or the leg of the female. Is that courting or is that aggression?
He is constantly trying to get her attention.... But she isn't interested or looks like it. The male socializes with me but the female is least interested even after so long of being with us.

Is it still safe to keep them in one cage at night? They have been separated at night for over a year and a half.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
The male has actually even in my close presence, many times tried to grab the wing or the leg of the female. Is that courting or is that aggression?
This is his clumsy attempt at courting. Actual unprovoked biting would be aggression. Does his grabbing her cause her to lose balance or does it just elicit her angry squawks? I don't believe he is being aggressive in any way however this behaviour would certainly make me scream out...lol. My two exhibit this behaviour as well and my feisty little female tells off my male too. Mine sleep together with no problem but if they are used to being separate then so be it. It is my little male who is shy and skittish with me while my female is beyond tame. Same exact behaviour with each other though. Budgie politics. Females (whether tamed to humans or not) rule the flock. They have been together for over 2 years and my female has shown no inclination to mate (yet...lol). They do feed,preen and sit beak to beak and lecture each other though. Telling him off is just part of the day. Totally normal.

ABM

Strolling the yard
Haha! So glad to hear they both are exhibiting normal behavior. The male doesn't really trouble her more than what is shown in the video. He keeps trying and trying...
She definitely rules who eats what (Need lot of vegetables and some fruits) and who has access to it first, in the cage. Ironically, he wants to be beside her all the time where as, she is okay being all by herself ☺. Almost like saying give me what I want and I'm okay... I don't need anybody to trouble me.

Thanks!

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Awww...your little guy is sweet and your little lady is obviously NOT in breeding mode (by the colour of her cere) and is having none of his malarkey. Rejection is tough for little male budgies but gotta love 'em they just keep trying...lol.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
When a hen comes into breeding condition her cere will turn to a tan/brownish colour and will appear slightly thicker and even appear crusty. Now this can happen without seeking out mating, so behaviour will also accompany the cere change. She will become more submissive and accepting of his advances. This can happen many times throughout her life or never.