• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Under Age LoveBirds Mating??

Druid

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Saad
Hello Everyone, This is my first post on this forum so i hope i am posting it one the right one and english is not my first language so you may find some errors in my writing please ignore them.

So as far as my problem goes i will write it down in detail hope u guys dont get bored.

I like to breed birds as a side hobby, I have been breeding budgies for around two years so this year i decided to breed lovebirds and in around June i bought 6 lovebirds chicks around 2-3 months and released them in to an aviary type cage until they grow and form natural pairs. In the past two months 2 of my lovebirds formed a pair and yesterday i saw one of them sitting in a medium size pot for veggies which is at the bottom of the cage. I thought she might be getting sick so i watched her behaviour from afar if anything was wrong with her but after 10-15 mins the other lovebird came down and they started mating (or tried to mate as it was their first time). So my problem is they are still 6-7 months old and i researched that lovebirds should be atleast one year in age before mating.

So i wanted to ask experienced guys what should i do now??. Should i remove the pot from the cage so they stop mating or will they mate even after removing pot, Should i let them do as they please, Or should i seperate them or give them a proper breeding cage with a breeding box??

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Saad :)

They will mate without the pot. And that is fine. Just try to minimize nesting areas, so I would remove the pot, but it won´t stop them mating (I hope I worded that clear). If any eggs are laid, remove them, boil and replace as they are too young to be breeding just yet.
I have a pair who were mating at 6-7 months also, first egg was when the hen was over a year old. Though I have had a 6-7 month old lone hen lay an egg before too.

Or should i seperate them or give them a proper breeding cage with a breeding box??
Neither.

Druid

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Saad
Thank you for your advice
I will remove the pot and hope the hen would not lay an egg somewhere at the bottom.