• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unable to handle conure after almost a year

Skyperch

Meeting neighbors
My green cheek conure is approximately a year old, I got her last year in September. I posted a topic a while back about not being able to handle her, and while we've made progress in terms of just being social, she is still nowhere closer to wanting to step up onto my finger.

She now has her full flight feathers, and seems to be more confident with coming out by herself, but she panics any time my hand comes near her with the intent to give her food/have her step up. I find that her favorite "treats" are carrots (she doesn't seem to like any kind of bagged treats from the store), but even then, she seems unwilling to take it from me or my mother, who gets up before me and gives her them.

I'm so frustrated with it because she isn't a bad bird, nor does she misbehave. She hates being ignored and loves playing games with noises and head bobs, but almost gives off the impression that she's been abused when any hand goes to touch her.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It can take a long time for a bird to fully trust you

You might want to read this thread:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
It can take a very long time if indeed there was abuse. I’d recommend checking out Monica’s training information in my signature. I have a couple that just want nothing to do with hands. I generally don’t force them and let them adjust as we go.

Skyperch

Meeting neighbors
It can take a very long time if indeed there was abuse. I’d recommend checking out Monica’s training information in my signature. I have a couple that just want nothing to do with hands. I generally don’t force them and let them adjust as we go.
There was no abuse (that I am aware of). She was hand-fed by a woman who owns an aviary and handled all of her birds. It was a smaller, lesser known one, but when I met her the birds didn't seem afraid of her in the slightest.

The big thing that I've seen recommended over and over is food, but she just doesn't seem food motivated.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
There was no abuse (that I am aware of). She was hand-fed by a woman who owns an aviary and handled all of her birds. It was a smaller, lesser known one, but when I met her the birds didn't seem afraid of her in the slightest.

The big thing that I've seen recommended over and over is food, but she just doesn't seem food motivated.
Food doesn’t work with Rue either and she seems very offended and throws it down when I try. I misread and thought it said possible abuse.

SmolParrot

Meeting neighbors
If you are able to feed the parrot by putting food near her, then I would try standing some distance from the parrot, and once her body language relaxes use a bridge and put the food somewhat near her as reward. By positive reinforcement, she may begin to relax her body language more around you. This certainly isn't a 1 step way to make a hand tamed bird, however, it is a way to make her more trusting of you

Reactions: Ali

Skyperch

Meeting neighbors
If you are able to feed the parrot by putting food near her, then I would try standing some distance from the parrot, and once her body language relaxes use a bridge and put the food somewhat near her as reward. By positive reinforcement, she may begin to relax her body language more around you. This certainly isn't a 1 step way to make a hand tamed bird, however, it is a way to make her more trusting of you
I've done this for almost a year already. She is comfortable with me being around, she just doesn't like any hand near her. She is fine until you put your hand by her.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I have had my gcc for over a year and still can't pet her. I've honestly just accepted it's not in her personality to be very handsy but we still have tons of fun dancing, using her perch stick to roam around the house, etc.

She will land on my hands and step up of my hands (maybe sometimes) but will bite me shortly after. I can totally forget about her letting me touch her hahaha.

What does she eat on a normal day to day basis? What if instead of feeding her from her bowl, you only offer her food in a cupped hand?

Skyperch

Meeting neighbors
I have had my gcc for over a year and still can't pet her. I've honestly just accepted it's not in her personality to be very handsy but we still have tons of fun dancing, using her perch stick to roam around the house, etc.

She will land on my hands and step up of my hands (maybe sometimes) but will bite me shortly after. I can totally forget about her letting me touch her hahaha.

What does she eat on a normal day to day basis? What if instead of feeding her from her bowl, you only offer her food in a cupped hand?
She eats her normal Harrison's pellets daily, and (I'm trying to do this daily) various veggies, usually consisting of spinach and carrots. I've gotten the hand suggestion several times, but she does not want to go anywhere near my hand.

Last edited:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Some birds just don’t like hands. My plum head is one of those. She won’t accept my hand anywhere near her, tho I’d call her fully tame with me now. She will however step up onto my shoulder. She flys to me anywhere in the house and lands on my shoulder, so she wants to be out and about, but the second I bring my hand toward her she panics. So now I just use my shoulder only as a stepping perch. Shell never allow scratching or help with pin feathers probably, but that’s just her.

SmolParrot

Meeting neighbors
Some birds just don’t like hands. My plum head is one of those. She won’t accept my hand anywhere near her, tho I’d call her fully tame with me now. She will however step up onto my shoulder. She flys to me anywhere in the house and lands on my shoulder, so she wants to be out and about, but the second I bring my hand toward her she panics. So now I just use my shoulder only as a stepping perch. Shell never allow scratching or help with pin feathers probably, but that’s just her.
I think this is a really healthy attitude. Just as parrots are accepting of all our quirks and personality, we also need to be accepting of them. An introverted parrot is a reality and there are pros to them as well, as they usually are more independent