• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ummm Bleach in Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie
I wouldn't use it myself.

But the company that set up my aviary said to put 2 drops in their water bottles.
They said If I think about it,our everyday tap water has bleach in it, so a little for the birds isn't gonna hurt.
They have been in business for 25yrs,

Now this has come up on face book.

"A very well renowned canary breeder by the name of G. A. Abbate, Sr used to rotate on a weekly basis between Apple Cider Vinegar (the kind that contains "The Mother"), regular bleach and Epson Salts. On the 4th week it was just plain water. He would add Listerine occasionally as it can help alleviate external parasites."

What are your thoughts and what do you do?
Bath water?
Drinking water?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
When Squeeky got very sick with a yeast/fungal infection as a baby his vet ordered me to clean all his feeding utensils with a mix of bleach & water. Also to clean his cage with bleach and water to kill everything from when he threw up. I was just as caught of guard when the vet suggested this. He said after 20 minutes, one of molecules that makes it bleach evaporates into the air and turns back into just water again. He just was very adamant about waiting those 20 minutes. I never had an issue using it to clean. I don't use it anymore though.

I think for cleaning purposes it would be ok but I wouldn't risk putting it in their drinking or bathing water.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Tap water isn't good to drink, but its better than nothing. Most DR.s recommend filtered water. And no, bleach really isnt a good idea to add to water. A better idea Is APPLE CIDER VINEGAR.:)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I would not use bleach..try apple cider vinegar

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie
My Canary breeder(hes' been breeding canaries for 25 yrs) says to use one or 2 drops of Listerine in their Bath water and drinking water.
So I do that.
Not having birds for over 30 yrs ( use to have a Grey, Tiel and a Keet) and no internet access then.
Now I have the canaries and finches( soon a baby tiel , future holds another Grey in it,lol Hubby don't know yet).

A lot has changed

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I definitely agree that the Apple Cider Vinegar would definitely be better. I use it in Squeeky's drinking water every day.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Since neither of my birds would drink water with even the tiniest hint of vinegar, my Vet also told me to use Listerine.

Kara31191

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kara
Listerine or ACV. But the best thing is just a really good filtered water! I think a good probiotic daily is more effective than anything you put in the water!!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I do disinfect the cages, toys and perches with a 50 part water to 1 pat bleach solution every 2 weeks or so. I would never put it in drinking water though. I use bottled water for drinking.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My aunt puts a small cap of bleach in the outside bird bath. She told me that it helps stop the growth of mildew or something and someone had recommended to her to do it. She's been doing it for years and I haven't noticed any wild birds dropping dead in our yard! lol.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I personally would not use it. I don't use bleach at all. I feel that there are safer things that are just as effective, or even more effective. That being said, you can use it to purify water and many backpackers and third world countries do. People also use it to detox before drug testing. I don't carry it backpacking or to third world countries and I wouldn't give it to my birds. I would also be concerned that if it's already in the tap water, how would you know if adding more was too much? If you're really concerned about your water quality, get a reverse osmosis unit for under your sink or use glass bottled spring water.

brilywi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bri
Umm, bleach in the water sounds wrong to me. Even if it is for bathing. You don't know if you're putting too much in, even if it is a couple of drops. What if the birds get a bit of water in their eyes? Or in their ears? The bleach could really dry out their skin as well and irritate it.

At the zoo the only time we use bleach is on our poop stain in the aviary (where we have someone stand there and stare at the bleach and water to make sure a bird doesn't come and suck it down before it sits for a bit; we don't even work on the poop stain regularly, just whenever a certain keeper feels like it) from our pigeons and in the sink with the bird dishes. In the sink we only use a splash of bleach for a restaurant size sink and we rinse all of our dishes very well after using it and let them dry for about half a day.

avianxandra

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alex
Even I don't like the idea of having bleach in my drinking water(even if it is only a drop) :eek:

I would go for the Apple Cider Vinegar :)

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bleach in bird drinking or bathing water? Never ever ever. I have never even heard of that. I won't wash any bird things in bleach. Only DH's unmentionables, and I "forget" when he is not home. :lol:

Krissa

Sprinting down the street
I've used bleach when backpacking for myself but only because my Steripen stopped working. Why use it for the birds?

Is there something wrong with the tap water in Toledo? Just wondering :)

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I wouldn’t do it, however, if someone has been doing it for a loong time with no problems, then I guess it can’t be that bad? :shrug: I am not sure, never heard of such a thing, but I would rather be safe than sorry anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.