• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Umbrella Cockatoo, a great bird from a (hopefully) good home...

Themene

Moving in
Real Name
Asher Braaten
We have had our little guy for about 5 years. My now wife was a cockatoo fan from a kid. When she moved in with me, we had the opportunity to finally make that dream come true. She was going to nursing school and spent the majority of her time at home doing homework and studying. Her and the bird, Pip, were best friends. I'd come home from work and we'd be just a little happy family. Unfortunately, time has changed our situation and started to make us question his well-being. We're early 30's with some pretty demanding careers. I run a business with 12 employees and build houses on the side. She graduated years ago and is a critical care nurse working full nights. We want to start a family very soon. We are starting to see major issues in our relationship with Pip and how much attention he's getting. She sleeps during the day and tries her best to keep him quiet. He's so well behaved that he does pretty good with hanging out while she sleeps, or at least as well as a too can, haha. He's very loved, given ample toys and foraging things, spoiled at times, has a good diet. He's a great bird. However, we are having the hard realizations that he deserved better than us if we can find it...

We're extremely hesitant to search out a rehoming situation for Pip. He's 14ish years old, no plucking, good communication, very little aggressiveness (any bites can definitely be traced back to a myriad of preceding signals or warnings). We love him dearly, but if there's a good home that has good too experience where he can have more attention, more space to roam, maybe a buddy to be with, we just can't ignore the opportunity. We're in the Mountain west and open for conversations from people who would want to keep us updated, because I don't know if I can handle not knowing where he is and how he's doing. Anyone out there thinking of adding an amazing bird to their family?

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's such a handsome boy and clearly loved! I hope you're able to find a wonderful home for him and that you can be kept updated.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My heart breaks for you to have to make that decision. It’s a hard one and only one I know you feel comfortable with if you can guarantee his happiness. I wish you the best of luck and hope he finds an excellent rehoming <3

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Sadly, most Toos end up in homes that don't understand, and are unable to handle their personalities long term.
Your home sounds like that one in a million, that a Too needs.
If you're rehoming for your bird's sake....don't.
If you're rehoming for your sake, then I wish you the best.

Themene

Moving in
Real Name
Asher Braaten
He's such a handsome boy and clearly loved! I hope you're able to find a wonderful home for him and that you can be kept updated.
Thanks for your kind words. It's been a wet eye kind of month thinking through these things.

Themene

Moving in
Real Name
Asher Braaten
My heart breaks for you to have to make that decision. It’s a hard one and only one I know you feel comfortable with if you can guarantee his happiness. I wish you the best of luck and hope he finds an excellent rehoming <3
I appreciate that.

Sadly, most Toos end up in homes that don't understand, and are unable to handle their personalities long term.
Your home sounds like that one in a million, that a Too needs.
If you're rehoming for your bird's sake....don't.
If you're rehoming for your sake, then I wish you the best.
Your words have me being self-reflective, but unfortunately I feel strongly it's on both sides. No doubt, Too parenting is an incredibly difficult task and one that we did not take on fully aware. The home we got him from didn't vet us well and seemed very eager to jump on the opportunity to sell him for a consequential amount of money. Had we gone through a rescue, I doubt our situation at the time would have had us approved to adopt. That being said, I can honestly say we grew a ton and definitely learned how to be good bird parents. Our lives have changed over the years, and that has made the really difficult behaviors start to rear back up and get worse. As it wears us down, it also highlights how our 'home' has started to not be what was best for him, and the current trajectory is trending worse for him rather than better. My heart is crushed at the idea, without question. There isn't a way for me to think about this without crying. I know we will always be great 'people' for him, but if we can find good 'people' with a great 'home' for him, I wouldn't forgive myself for causing him to miss that opportunity. 20-30 years from now, I see a life where my wife and I are the best 'home' again. I wish I could just teleport there with Pippin and give him to my future self. The thing that has started to sting the most from aging has been just how many goodbyes you have to start getting used to, but to have to face down one of your own creation is just soul crushing. I'm adrift in my own emotions, but I will always try to keep the consequences of the choice in full view. Thanks for your post.

DonnaC

Moving in
We have had our little guy for about 5 years. My now wife was a cockatoo fan from a kid. When she moved in with me, we had the opportunity to finally make that dream come true. She was going to nursing school and spent the majority of her time at home doing homework and studying. Her and the bird, Pip, were best friends. I'd come home from work and we'd be just a little happy family. Unfortunately, time has changed our situation and started to make us question his well-being. We're early 30's with some pretty demanding careers. I run a business with 12 employees and build houses on the side. She graduated years ago and is a critical care nurse working full nights. We want to start a family very soon. We are starting to see major issues in our relationship with Pip and how much attention he's getting. She sleeps during the day and tries her best to keep him quiet. He's so well behaved that he does pretty good with hanging out while she sleeps, or at least as well as a too can, haha. He's very loved, given ample toys and foraging things, spoiled at times, has a good diet. He's a great bird. However, we are having the hard realizations that he deserved better than us if we can find it...

We're extremely hesitant to search out a rehoming situation for Pip. He's 14ish years old, no plucking, good communication, very little aggressiveness (any bites can definitely be traced back to a myriad of preceding signals or warnings). We love him dearly, but if there's a good home that has good too experience where he can have more attention, more space to roam, maybe a buddy to be with, we just can't ignore the opportunity. We're in the Mountain west and open for conversations from people who would want to keep us updated, because I don't know if I can handle not knowing where he is and how he's doing. Anyone out there thinking of adding an amazing bird to their family?
Where are you located? We are looking for a bird to adopt.

Blanae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brandy
Southern Montana
I am guessing Billings maybe :) I am over here in Bismarck ND. My husbands dad lived in Laurel and we spent the ENTIRE summer last year driving out on weekends dealing with his estate. I am a HUGE cockatoo fan. Like LOVE them. I rehomed my goffin when I first had kids for many of the same reasons you guys are thinking of rehoming your bird. I totally understand. I had my senegal for 22 years and he passed 3 years ago. I never expected to be a bird owner again but aquired 2 cockatiels last year. Then this summer we met our boy Albert (B&G macaw) NEVER expected to have a macaw that would be my husbands dream. I wish timing was a bit different for your cockatoo. My kids are adults and I am waiting on them about another year or so to move out after college is done. I just don't have anymore room until then. Good luck with whatever you decide. I will tell you there is an AMAZING rescue in Fargo ND called Care. The gal that runs is wonderful. I talk to her all the time for advice and tips. She may know of a home. I wish I had a bigger house and could help you out.

Savannah22

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Savannah Landers
Hi, I am interested can I get information??

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is an old thread from June 2022 and the original poster hasn't logged in since summer 2022. You are unlikely to get a response from them.