• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

uh oh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Cookie doesn't step up for me anymore. She will fly to my arm, and fly to different places, but she will rarely step up. I have to "catch" her to pick her up, once i have her in my hands she loves getting scritches and preening my finger, though.. Anyways, instead of stepping up for me and letting me take her into the living room like i'd LIKE her to do, i open the door, walk over to her, talk to her, and then put my hand out asking her to step up. She then takes off, flies through the hall way, and lands on a fan in the living room. (a fan thats not put away becuase for some reason my brother likes to use it at night when he's laying down.. weird..boys..) anyways, the fan is the first thing she flies to, its just one those white ones that stands on the ground. She'll sit there FOREVER preening and being talked to, but today my mom pointed out something to me. She said..

"Emily, you shouldn't have started letting her sit on that fan. I know we don't use it now, but what happens during the summer and we use it? its going to be the first thing she tries and flies to."

Uh, oh. Never thought of that. *bangs head on desk* It IS the first thing she flies to, how can i discourage that?

it seems like she's reverted back for some reason to how she was when i first got her. She doesn't trust me. Maybe this is why she won't step up. Any advice? Do you think i should start over, pretend like she's never trusted me and try to gain it back again? She's not being aggressive in the LEAST bit, not at all! Just.. scared, well.. not even scared.. she just doesn't WANT to step up or spend time with me.. she won't sit with me anymore. If she's on my shoulder, she flies off. right away..

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Yeah, she wasn't like that even when she first came here! that must have been because she had a bad cut. Her wings will be clipped again soon, not because of this, but for other reasons..

I have tried offering her a treat, too! she won't! She just tries to run up and take it, but then she runs away from my hand, or flies away..

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
How about a Nutriberry that she has to pick little pieces off of to get? Just hold it tightly so she can't take it and fly away.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
That would be great if she'd eat the darn things! hehe, she won't touch them. I've been trying for months!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
How about millet?

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
YES! millet it work - will get some this weekend.

I just clipped her wings a few hours ago because i was waiting for them to finish molting in, and so she would stop flying into walls. NOW she`s stepping up- but thats not what i want! i want her to come to me because she wants to, and not for some other reason!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
YES! millet it work - will get some this weekend.

I just clipped her wings a few hours ago because i was waiting for them to finish molting in, and so she would stop flying into walls. NOW she`s stepping up- but thats not what i want! i want her to come to me because she wants to, and not for some other reason!
She is getting to know you and what life is about. They do not know love hate etc as those are human emotions. They do learn what to do for survival. They do enjoy companionship for safety, comfort, grooming, breeding etc.

So, to want your bird to come to you because they want to isn't fair to them. Yes we may bribe them but that does help motivate them. Once they learn what you want you will find they do get excited coming to you. The bribe is just another way to communicate an idea in a non threatening way. show kindness in your training, be consistant, be non threatening, make sure the surroundings are safe....all those things make a difference to a bird and provides the atmosphere for learning.

It is worth doing and you will have a most enjoyable time with your bird.

Peggy (of the many)

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I'm not being fair to her for wanting her to want to come to me? I don't understand how that is unfair. What i mean is, i've heard people tell people to clip their birds wings because it makes them easier to handle. thats NOT why i wanted to clip her wings, so i felt bad that now that they're clipped, she is easier to handle. I haven't been treating her any differently. If she doesn't want to come to me, I leave her alone and let her do what she wants. When she does want to come to me, i ask her to step up and she gets treats and scritches..

Status
Not open for further replies.