• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

U2 refuses to eat veggies or fruit!

NotReptile

Moving in
I recently got a new umbrella cockatoo baby [Around 5 months] yet he refuses to eat veggies or fruit. He only wants to eat sunflower seeds. I've been offering him a parrot mix [Seeds, Nuts and Fruits] as well as freshly cut veggies and fruits daily but he still will only eat sunflower seeds. Any ideas on how to entice him to eat veggies and fruit? Thank you!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Is he fully off baby formula ... Sometimes they will try veggies and fruit if you eat it with them ...it takes alot patience ..I would offer the fresh food every chance you get and make a huge deal about how good they are :strhng:

NotReptile

Moving in
He should be! His breeder told us that he's eating on his own and is fully weaned. I will definitely try and eat veggies and fruit with him! Thank you!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I don't own a too, but try this, buy a sweet potato peel it, cube it, cook it until fork tender, drain the water off, mash it with tiny 1 teaspoon of pineapple juice until smooth. You can add things to it like; chopped nuts no peanuts, orzo pasta cooked, apple pieces, peas, kale chopped,dark leafy greens. Try different presentations of veggies ,fruit go easy on sugary fruit, chopped finely, course, tiny dice, julienne, long strips. Also mimic eating yourself if the bird sees you eating it I wanna bite too.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What was he weaned on to? Usually, breeders wean them pellets. Have you tried wetting some pellets for him so they're softer? My foster umbrella is not a big fan of raw vegetables but really likes the frozen vegetable mixes- the ones with corn, peas, carrots and lima beans. I let them thaw and serve them like that. I don't cook them. He also really likes pasta.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try big chunks of veggies instead of finely chopped. After 3 years of trying, that's what got my Jardine's to try veggies :)

I'm talking like, a quarter of a pepper, half a carrot etc

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's possible he has regressed to needing soft pellets. I'd suggest soaking some pellets in hot water to soft stage & then drain the excess water off. Try offering cooked mashed sweet potatoes. Also frozen mixed veggies. Corn, peas, carrots. I nuke them for a few minutes to thaw & rinse in cold water to cool. As he gets eating better offer fresh veggies. You may need to eat some to show him it's safe to eat.

You should also have pellets (dry) in cage at all times. It may take time for your baby to eat them. Fruit should be limited. You want your bird eating pellets & veggies daily.

I got my U2 at 7 months & she never fully weaned until 10 months.

NotReptile

Moving in
The breeder didn't mention what he was weaned on but as soon as I get a chance then I will definitely pick up pellets as long as try all of these suggestions! I will update as soon as I can. Thanks for all these great tips :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The breeder didn't mention what he was weaned on but as soon as I get a chance then I will definitely pick up pellets as long as try all of these suggestions! I will update as soon as I can. Thanks for all these great tips :)
Can you contact the breeder and ask?