• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video U2 owners is this normal?

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
I didn't even need to play the video (but couldn't resist) to tell that's a 'too. Miss Coco's is more like a high pitch whine, with the same cadence.....

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I didn't even need to play the video (but couldn't resist) to tell that's a 'too. Miss Coco's is more like a high pitch whine, with the same cadence.....
Miss Coco...always a lady...;)

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Oh and she does it at various times in the AM, before bed, if she's happy, scared, wants attention, etc. What is truly amazing is just how loud it is, and how little effort it takes her to belt it out.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What is truly amazing is just how loud it is, and how little effort it takes her to belt it out.
Tell me about it!! :rofl: I think all cockatoo owners know what you are talking about all too well ;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What is truly amazing is just how loud it is, and how little effort it takes her to belt it out.
Isn't that the truth!

Rhetorical question...we know how loud U2s and M2s are...why aren't they deafened by their own flock calls?

minx1974

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tracey
My sweet, gentle and loving U2, Holly, says "hello" in a soft voice, she also barks like a small dog, and makes cute cooing noises, but when she is not happy we know about it - most of the street know too! She is LOUD when she screeches, but thankfully she is not a screamer, she just lets us know when she is not happy. We love her to bits. Feel sorry for my D2 who is in the same room as her. Mind you he is loud too, but he shouts rather than screams. ❤

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is that his only scream or is there something new and scary in the room? Or someone he doesn't like?

My umbrella cockatoos have a variety of screams. When I hear this it's because a 80" java branch fell down or the new autumn decorative leave(fake plants) had fallen down and it might loom like a snake.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A side note that I also saw in the video is that Echo' s cresty is slightly raised, falling and rising but pretty slightly erect the entire time. He's looking around.

He seemed nervous about something.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That's pretty much the only call he does. It varies a bit but not much. There's are times he seems distress about something but I couldn't tell you what. He's somewhat a nervous bird. But he'll also screams like when he's excited or happy too

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like you confirmed he is a nervous bird. I would say this particular scream, if it's the only one he does, indicates he is scared (body language too). Mali used to sound like this all the time. She took almost 4 years to settle into living with other birds.

Is Echo frightened of your M2?(or other birds/pets?).

Try and figure out why he screams when he does. What's going on. Take notes. After a while you can compare them.

He could have a one note scream. But the video, from what I could see, showed a nervous scream. Not sure what he looks like at other times.

My birds,when happy screaming, bounce around and flap wings, do other weird antics to express themselves. Usually when a bird just stands still with a crest slightly raising and falling and eyes like that when eye something (?) reminds me of when Mali came to live with me. As a nervous bird.

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Echo's comfortable around Zane my M2. :) The tv sometimes sets him off if flashes a bright light or there are lot of quick edits. Sometimes if an object isn't in its normal place or something new is around that will set him off.

Lots of times he'll do it for no apparent reason. He'll sometimes do it in the fear position, wings out but low, crest up, he'll sway and hiss a little bit. But what's weird is he'll also make a laughing sound too.

I highly suspect he's from a parrot mill. I wonder if stressed calls were the main calls he heard. And while he's a nervous bird and I think he's a little off he's still a good bird. And we have made progress with other things like biting and doing his nails. :)