• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

U2 Oil gland /bleeding

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Hi everyone
My U2 randomly started to bleed a lot of blood close to her oil gland tail area. I tried to clean it but was unable too so I used flour to stop the bleeding. My main priority is to stop the blood. Also, I booked her appointment with the vet tomorrow.

I asked her previous owner about her history he did confirm that she had some issues with the blocked oil gland. Is it so common for U2 to have this issue? What can I do to prevent this from happening? Changing her diet? Thank you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Her diet has changed for the worse tbh ever since she had her surgery. The vet did tell me her liver levels are high & would take a long time for it to go back to normal.

My U2 rejecting all kinds of chops & slowly rejecting zupreem food for medium size birds.

I’ve been feeding her Harrison, roudy bush& zupreem coarse. (Small size bird food) My vet pretty much told me to feed her anything just to make sure she gains weight.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Glad you're going to the vet tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Her diet has changed for the worse tbh ever since she had her surgery. The vet did tell me her liver levels are high & would take a long time for it to go back to normal.

My U2 rejecting all kinds of chops & slowly rejecting zupreem food for medium size birds.

I’ve been feeding her Harrison, roudy bush& zupreem coarse. (Small size bird food) My vet pretty much told me to feed her anything just to make sure she gains weight.
Milk Thistle can be helpful for liver disease.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Warm compress and gentle massage can help a blocked preening gland.

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Thankfully nothing serious there were a lot of new feathers around the tail area growing. That required removing few of them.

@Shezbug this is so helpful thank you!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did you end seeing the vet? Or is that tomorrow for you?

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
I’m encountering the same problem again. Today she overdid it with the preening. I was away for an hour when that happen. Whenever she’s outside her cage I monitor her to prevent any more injury.

My previous vet visit recommended the garlic spray & pain killer. Doesn’t work to this day..

Right now I may need to purchase a collar unsure which brand is safe.