• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

U-Haul paper is working on bottom of cage!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I mentioned how awful I felt about using so many paper towels each day @Mizzely recommended using U-Haul packing paper for the bottom of cages. A few weeks ago I finally went in search of it and began using it. It's easy to cut to the exact size of Gigi's cage (I cut 20 at a time) and I use the leftover strip under her morning poop hot spot. It looks great and will last so long! I even like how small it is when I roll it up for the trash.

If you're interested put your zip code in the site's box and find out where it's available. For me it was at a gas station that also rents U-Hauls. I paid $9.95 per box of 200 sheets. I bought 2 and have over a year of cage paper.

Packing-Paper-(10lb-pack)

Bryan Black

Strolling the yard
When I bought my cage for Pip I bought a few years worth of cage liners too. This was back when Dr Fosters and Smith was shutting down so they were on sale at half price. I was wondering what I was going to do when they were gone but these seem like a good option.. thanks for the post :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
When I mentioned how awful I felt about using so many paper towels each day @Mizzely recommended using U-Haul packing paper for the bottom of cages. A few weeks ago I finally went in search of it and began using it. It's easy to cut to the exact size of Gigi's cage (I cut 20 at a time) and I use the leftover strip under her morning poop hot spot. It looks great and will last so long! I even like how small it is when I roll it up for the trash.

If you're interested put your zip code in the site's box and find out where it's available. For me it was at a gas station that also rents U-Hauls. I paid $9.95 per box of 200 sheets. I bought 2 and have over a year of cage paper.

Packing-Paper-(10lb-pack)
That's not bad but I buy it on the roll of butcher paper & cut it to size. On sale can get a roll for $20 $25 & could get 500 sheets from it...I buy the white...Good to know about the uhaul paper though. I have been using packing paper I reycled when a tenant moved in as they had so much of it its lasted me for months for free...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Might have to look into that when I run out. Its not as thick as mine though but that size would fit Pennys cage & I don;t think I would have to cut it...Cutting it on the roll can be a chore. Still if I got 30 inch X 1000 feet it would yield 500 sheets so I wait til its on sale/ Its thicker than newpaper type paper...40 lb vs 10 lb...

Wow its gone up in price...$40 for a roll...I used to get it on sale maybe $25...Well there is always Uhaul now!!!

Thanks!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@camelotshadow Linnie poops are notoriously loose and Gigi's first poop of the day is insane. I am so surprised that despite the paper not feeling that thick, if I double up that one hot spot, nothing goes through at all.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so glad it worked for you!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good that you posted this as I just now was thinking... most of my cages the newspaper or the smaller insert fit just fine but in this cage I have to fold them over, it takes a long time as there are 6 compartments and each tray I try to layer 4-7 days of paper, fold fold fold.

I'll check into both uhaul and the Butcher paper! Thanks guys! :D

This is the cage, stacked 3 high
Prevue stacking cage.jpg

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use blank newsprint sheets that I purchase in bales through Papermart. I get the 20x30 size sheets, and they work great!

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Since my birds cannot get to the papers, I use newspaper. It cost me nothing. Hubby picks it up at truckstops, usually the papers that didn't get picked up by truckers the previous month. Good to have friends who work there.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Since my birds cannot get to the papers, I use newspaper. It cost me nothing. Hubby picks it up at truckstops, usually the papers that didn't get picked up by truckers the previous month. Good to have friends who work there.
I do too. Sometimes i have to raid the neighbors' recycle bins if I run out. In the dark, of course.

My problem is the 18X18" cage trays. Not really a problem, but folding the paper up. Gonna try the 18" packing paper.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I do too. Sometimes i have to raid the neighbors' recycle bins if I run out. In the dark, of course.

My problem is the 18X18" cage trays. Not really a problem, but folding the paper up. Gonna try the 18" packing paper.
I have a cool paper cutter than makes it a breeze to fit the papers.

SamatranTiger

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I buy unprinted newsprint from a packing supply company that will cut it to whatever size I need! This is $100 worth and enough to last a bit over a year.

20200120_081642.jpg