• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Typing posts, overwrite issue

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I'm having a hard time fixing typos while I'm in a post. Not the edit feature specifically. When I move the cursor it will divide the nearest word on the right and overwrite for several characters. It's maddening!

Remember the insert button on keyboards? Yep, it's like that, but I can't turn it off.

I'm already ocd about fixing errors. Either going to develop a twitch or eventually get desensitized to my own bad grammar.

Up there! "Either" is what I settled on because I can't get up there to change that sentence!!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I've just got chrome on my phone. I just did an experiment, it does not do this to numerals. It takes random numbers of characters out, sometimes it splits that nearest word, keeps the first letter, and the cursor jumps in front of the letter with the rest of the sentence in tact....or not!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've just got chrome on my phone. I just did an experiment, it does not do this to numerals. It takes random numbers of characters out, sometimes it splits that nearest word, keeps the first letter, and the cursor jumps in front of the letter with the rest of the sentence in tact....or not!
Are you using a mobile device? If you hit where the 3 dots are there is a drop down menu. Look in the settings area. I am using chrome too, & I only have issues when I try to tag a member & its not all the time, just occassionally. I'm not sure it will help but it can't hurt to look.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm having a hard time fixing typos while I'm in a post. Not the edit feature specifically. When I move the cursor it will divide the nearest word on the right and overwrite for several characters. It's maddening!

Remember the insert button on keyboards? Yep, it's like that, but I can't turn it off.

I'm already ocd about fixing errors. Either going to develop a twitch or eventually get desensitized to my own bad grammar.

Up there! "Either" is what I settled on because I can't get up there to change that sentence!!

They are updating I'm told....layman terms, the hamster wheel broke!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It has happens to me too. Today I'm only using Dolphins as a browser, I will never go back to Firefox or Chrome again.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of phone operating system and what keyboard? I have that issue a LOT on my Google Pixel 3 using the Gboard. If I switch to SwiftKey Keyboard, the problem is immediately resolved.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
It's a Coolpad legacy. Pretty standard. I don't have keyboard options.
I'll just be hopeful the updates fix it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I just want to confirm what @Mizzely said. I used to have similar problems using google's keyboard in Chrome on android but since switching to SwiftKey everything is fine, other than my own silly typos.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
So, I have a clear memory of describing a mouse to my grandmother years ago. I feel like I'm the grandmother in this story.

Also, don't get a coolpad!! I miss my old phone every day.

Also, this seems to be working! Thank you!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
And i thought it was my kindle fire. Been happening to me for a while now. It is enough to make one wonder. Its definitely not any update because this was happening before we were notified.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I've been thinking about trying a nook. Do you like the kindle?

I like the nook because it has a screen that's not super reflective. I have a hard time with glare.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes I love the Kindle Fire. I bought the first one they made for $300 and the battery is now shot after 10 years or so. Amazon does not sell new batteries for any Kindle Fire nor do they train their tech to do so. Not recommended. I found a person to change the battery and batteries are sold other places for a fee of $150. Now you can buy what they call the Kindle fire tablet new for that price so I did not do it. I love the Kindles but when batteries wear out you need a new one which is a down side. I watch movies, play games and use the internet all on Kindle Fire.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Any ideas why SwiftKey would be acting up after a fresh download? I had to reset my phone this week... Something to do with the Sim card... Maybe it's still a Sim card problem?
Not sure, sorry! :(

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Any ideas why SwiftKey would be acting up after a fresh download? I had to reset my phone this week... Something to do with the Sim card... Maybe it's still a Sim card problem?
Go into your phones settings - Apps & notifications - SwiftKey Keyboard - Storage, and hit the 'Clear Cache' button SwiftKey will return to the default settings from when it was first installed. Just reinstalling doesn't clear that cache.
Your android may be slightly different, I'm on PIE. I'm sure you'll find it.