• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Typical budgie lifespan

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Olliebird, the blue budgie thing was someone's observation that the longest lived ones are blue.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Just like humans, diet is definitely a plus. So is their ability to fly. Beyond that though, colour has nothing to do with longevity. Genetics have an immense amount to do with longevity but budgies as a species are predisposed to many disorders. They are unfortunately little tumor factories. Sometimes no matter how many things you do right you just can't preempt genetics. This doesn't mean that you can't offer them an incredibly happy life. Budgies can come from the best breeders and still succumb to disease. Their are no guarantees just as their are no guarantees in human life. Just give them the best life you can and enjoy their antics. I could quote my personal experiences but does it really matter? Love them wherever they come from and for as long as you are blessed with them.

Last edited:

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
This depends greatly on quality of care and genetics and the like. I believe the average lifespan of a budgie with the care the vast majority receive (small cage, seed diet) is around five years, or less. I took horrible care of my first two budgies, and they both died after I had had them for four years. However, looking back at pictures, the one who wasn't lutino didn't have her baby bars, so I'm not sure how old they are.
I also have some cousins that had a budgie who lived for years, even though he was never let out of the cage and it was rarely cleaned. I think he was probably around seven years old by the time he died.
From looking around on here, the average lifespan of a budgie with high quality care and the like is 10-15 years.
My budgie is a year old as of last month, and hopefully he's still got a lot left in him!

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I really hope my budgies can live a long time. I rehomed them but they are originally pet shop birds. From my previous experience, pet shop birds never live very long and always get fatty tumours. But I am trying really hard to not make any of my previous mistakes when it comes to diet, exercise and environment. That way, even if they don’t live very long, I can be happy knowing I gave them a good life. My birbs are only about a year old and neither are blue.