• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

two young ringnecks introduction issues

Mccookrem

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rick
I am new to ringnecks, have a dna tested female for the last 2 months she was hand fed and tame but can be nippy. I recently came accross a blue male same age also handfed surgically sexed and tattooed from breeder. I have tryied to let them out together but she will not have it and chased him away. They were in same room seperate cages now same room cages side by side for a week. It is the female that gets aggressive, I am thinking of replacing her since I dont care about breeding if the other one turned out to be male that would be fine. My first choice is to keep both in same large cage until breeding season then separate them. Any ideas how how to get her not to be so mean.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Birds are like people. Just because they're male and female doesn't mean they're going to like each other. And it does take time for birds to adjust to each other. And they may always have to be kept in separate cages. You'll just to see how it goes. And I don't think there's really a "breeding" season. They can mate whenever- if they decide they like each other in that way. What's important really is if you like the birds.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't think you should replace her - she probably needs more time. Handfed birds may be slower to bond to another bird if they've been kept as an only bird for some time, as she has.
I also think your current arrangement, with the side by side cages and supervised out time, is a good idea. Keeping them in a single large cage is a nice idea, but if they do bond with each other, then it will be more stressful on them to separate them later on to prevent breeding (if that is your wish).

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
just curious about your plan to house them together until breeding season then separate them. Wouldn't that cause a lot of stress to separate them just when they want most to be together ?

Mccookrem

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rick
can keep together if they get along not sure how long to keep them in seperate cages. someone told me she can harm or even kill him?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why do you want to cage them together? You could probably let them out together under supervision but just keep them in separate cages. If you replace her there still could be issues with the male and the new bird not getting along with each other. No way to predict if birds will be friends. I had birds caged together for many years when suddenly they just started fighting with each other so I had to separate them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am interested to know why you would 'replace' the one you have had the longest? Do you dislike her? Do you need to learn more about birds and how they interact with their humans?

I think if you are looking for a happy little family you might want to find a pair that is already bonded. If you want breeders look for a pair of those. If you want pets you probably do not want a male/female pair. And if cleaning 2 cages is too much, maybe just keep the one bird. I clean 13 cages at the moment. Two seems pretty easy.

Just my 2 cents.

Mccookrem

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rick
thanks for your thoughts makes me sound like a jerk lol. I am on disability so money has always been a problem I was able to find her with the only money I had I guess I settled at the time the second bird is the one I really wanted as far as a male and the color blue just happened to have enough money to get him I didn't know the sex of the first bird until I had a DNA testing really wasn't excited about a female due to problems with laying eggs but read that it's better if you put her with a male they have less egg binding problems so that was my plan as far as keeping them separate it was only for the first season because they're too young to breed then I would allow them breed next year I will keep them both in separate cages sorry I sound like such a jerk I guess I'm not good at explaining myself

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh! I didn't mean to be rude. Sorry!!!!!!

You did not sound like a jerk at all. We/ I don't know you, so I was just trying to get more information about the birds' situation, your situation, etc.

Now I feel like a jerk! LOL

So, they are separate for now and that is working? I hope so. Just keep reading on here, and asking questions. I don't have ringnecks myself, but people here who do would be happy to help you... shutting up now. :wacky:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You really need to have more patience.
I had my girls for 9 month and we are still working on how to make them best friends. And I will never cage mine together. Not worth the risk.
And when you say, chase away, how is she chasing him away? Does she want to kill him and fly after him? If so, no interaction at all until she change her mind.
Or does she just want to say, - Hey! I'm the girl, this is my place, and I'm the top dog here, get used to it! If so, this is normal and he will adjust to that.

Mccookrem

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rick
she runs after him a litt0le less today when they were out together super vised whenever she gets close to me and she tries to bite him but he always leaves then she just stays wherever she's at

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
she runs after him a litt0le less today when they were out together super vised whenever she gets close to me and she tries to bite him but he always leaves then she just stays wherever she's at
But that is good. She don't like him, but she don't hate him. Give them some time, in the end this can be fine.

Mccookrem

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rick
these are these are a picture of my two babies the blue one is surgically sex as male the female the green one was sex as DNA test female does anyone think she's starting to look like a male 20170805_165056.jpg 20170805_165056.jpg 20170729_181612.jpg i 20170729_181612.jpg 20170729_181612.jpg 20170805_165056.jpg

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Who cut those wings? :( Babies needs to fly.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They are beautiful! (Sorry, I don't know about their sex.)

Mccookrem

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rick
bad huh all my birds fly the breeders mangled the female she barely gets around the male gets around better vet said they will molt thru it long wait. someone said to pluck to cause regrowth can't think that would be good idea