• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two tail feathers moulted at once

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it normal to moult two tail feathers are once? Winston just did. I didn't even realize they have two long tail feathers... How long 'till they grow back?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Mine have never molted both at once but it’s probably not a big issue. Mine usually molt 4 of them every year and still have a full long tail feather each time so probably 3 to 4 months for them to grow back.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, his tail looks really short now. There are no long tail feathers left. Aurelius' is longer. I guess so long as it's normal. I wondered if it were a sign of disease, in which case he'd need an appointment no matter what he thought of handling. I guess they have four total?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, I'll monitor him for what he moults. So far the only big feathers are those three (2 tail; 1 wing). I was just a little shocked by the tail. I collect their big feathers anyway, so am very up on what's been moulted. If he starts moulting left, right & centre, I'll have him tested.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's possible that one molted and then the other didn't have enough support so it molted a little early is all :)

The wings and tail should molt symmetrically, so if you lost one wing feather, you should be getting the matching one from the other side in the next day or two.

New feathers usually take a few weeks to grow in and be preened out of the sheath. Some will take longer than others!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That sounds neat! I'll be on the lookout for the match. Is there a chart somewhere that shows the feathers of the budgie, with how many of each kind there are, etc.?

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Most of the time Buddy molts one long tail feather at a time but a couple of times he molted both. I was worried that it might affect his flying but it didn't. I recall it took about 4 weeks for the new ones to completely grow in.

Gigibirds

My birds will occasionally moult a couple of big feathers (wing or tail) at once....its no big deal - it just happens some times! Especially with my p'let, most times she loses her big feathers in 'pairs'.