• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two steps forward, one step back

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I'm not sure what happened, or what Phoenix might have told him ( :roflmao: ), but Raiju suddenly isn't letting me take him out of the cage anymore like he had started doing. I thought it was just a one-off day at first, but it's been a few days now, he basically runs from my hand in the cage. He still lets me pick him up when he's out of the cage, and will even contact call me if I leave the room.

I have no clue what I could have done to spook him, if I did something. I've never forced him to do something he didn't want to do, I never pressed on his belly to get him to stand, never touched even touched him except for him perching on my finger

I've tried giving him millet to stand on my hand but that just feels like more of a bonding thing for him and Phoenix because they'll eat it together, but once the millet's gone he's right back to being scared of my hands (only in the cage, outside of the cage he comes running for me)

Phoenix also doesn't mind if I give Raiju attention, sometimes he will come to me for attention too but that's all he will do.

Any tips for bonding with Raiju more?

Side note: Raiju has started being a little territorial over the top bit of the cage, if Phoenix goes up there Raiju starts nipping and hovering over Phoenix until he leaves. Phoenix will try to eat from his food bowl(that's up top) Raiju snaps, then Phoenix leaves. But Raiju will often go down and eat from Phoenix's bowl, I don't think Raiju chases away Phoenix from that bowl. Is that okay? Or should I rearrange the cage again?

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Any tips for bonding with Raiju more?
Take it slow and try to regain their trust, even if you're not sure what you did. Work slowly, and be patient and above all, just remember that your bird will let you know what they feel comfortable with. These are pretty basic tips but sometimes it's good to have a reminder that being patient pays off. Good luck with Raiju!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
He wants a little independence. Let him choose when he wants to come out and offer a step-up at the cage door.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
So I figured out Raijū wants me to sit on the floor, I guess me standing at his eye level was too intimidating for him!
He just flew out, missed me and landed behind me, so he turned around and flew up to my shoulder! He’s getting so good at flying it’s crazy!

D959860B-8A94-487C-B5AD-6115E71667E6.jpeg

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Same, except it's been going on for a longer time with my boys. I always let them come out of their cage of their own accord, but they used to come when I called. Now they are having fun flying around and don't pay much attention to me. I guess they, too, have matured into a new phase at nearly 5 yo. Oh well, back to square one for us, too!

Raiju is soooooo cute! His little face is just so precious! :xflove: