• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Starving Puppies Walk Into Emergency Room And Wait Patiently For Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Stories about the sensitivities and intelligence of four legged friends do not get any more telling than the story of two dogs in Corpus Christi, Texas who walked into a hospital and waited their turn to see a doctor.

According to a report by KIII TV, the two puppies who were extremely emaciated and physically exhausted made their way through the front doors of the Christus Spohn Shoreline hospital on Friday and promptly sat down quietly waiting for someone to notice them. When doctors were made aware of the presence of the two dogs they quickly assessed their situation as urgent and took emergency steps to save them.

Staff at the hospital made a quick dash for food and produced sausages and bacon for the starving dogs and jumped into action to try and find them a safe haven to go to while nurses dispensed with some much needed TLC. After numerous phone calls, the Gulf Coast Humane Society agreed to take the starving duo on the condition that they be transported to their premises.

In another show of compassion from those reporting on the story, the doctor who had first treated the dogs was happy to place them in the back of the KIII TV Channel 3 news car so they could be taken to their temporary home.
Huffington Post
The Gulf Coast Humane Society says that in just a few short weeks both of the lucky dogs should be healthy enough to go up for adoption.

This isn’t the first story of animals seeking out help from human counterparts, as they mentioned a story in conjunction with this one about a cat who led her rescuer to the kittens she had given birth to.

Back in October, after being rescued and nursed back to health, one cat led RSPCA inspector Jon Knight to her litter of kittens for help.

“When she started to get really vocal at first I thought she was calling to the kittens, but then it became clear that she was actually calling to me,” Knight told STV. “I began to follow her and she took me through the rear garden, across a ploughed field and into a farm yard.”
Had the cat not lead Knight to her litter, the kittens would have only lasted around two more days.

Pet Pardons News | Two Starving Puppies Walk Into Emergency Room And Wait Patiently For Help

Last edited by a moderator:

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm very glad the pups are going to be cared for! But wow, giving a starving dog sausages and bacon? I would have been scared of refeeding syndrome...

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yeah, not the best food to give them, I read that and thought, no comment.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
BUT they could also have just booted them out the door though thankfully, they didn't and the pups will (hopefully) be okay. :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I had a half starved cat show up at my ER one night. She sat outside the door looking in for a full 12 hr shift. Needless to say she came home with me in the morning. We also brought her in for a while and fed her a little then put her back outside with a box and a nice warmed blanket. She got a fresh warm blanket every 2-3 hours. :DNo wonder she waited by the door for me. She saw sucker written on my forehead for sure.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Elaine you will get your reward in heaven! So sad so many animals are suffering now with the world climate as it is. They seem to be the very first to have to suffer from the hardships.
Those animals that seek help just know they will get it in certain places.:hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Elaine you will get your reward in heaven! So sad so many animals are suffering now with the world climate as it is. They seem to be the very first to have to suffer from the hardships.
Those animals that seek help just know they will get it in certain places.:hug8:

My Kitty Vet calls us Pet Refuge of Culver. The last time we adopted from a shelter we gave the vet as a reference and she laughed and told them that our home was kitty heaven. We have taken so many strays to her over the years. Some we have kept and some we found homes for.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad people were so willing to help..so sad that the puppies were starving in the first place.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Stories like this are few and far between. Glad the pupdogs were helped!!!!:)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Renae, if you thought "no comment" about the sausage and bacon, it is a shame you didn't follow that thought. And Chompie, no matter how bad the food was for a nomal dog, these pups' bodies needed any calories they could get. You are judging people's actions in an extreme situation. Maybe the vet clinic doesn't carry food to sell to its customers and that was all they had on hand or could get hold of in a pinch.

Right now I get extremely annoyed very easily. If I don't post what I am thinking, then it bugs me all day. I also feel you should re-examine your judgements.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwww, So gald they were helped. May they go to loving homes.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Renae, if you thought "no comment" about the sausage and bacon, it is a shame you didn't follow that thought. And Chompie, no matter how bad the food was for a nomal dog, these pups' bodies needed any calories they could get. You are judging people's actions in an extreme situation. Maybe the vet clinic doesn't carry food to sell to its customers and that was all they had on hand or could get hold of in a pinch.

Right now I get extremely annoyed very easily. If I don't post what I am thinking, then it bugs me all day. I also feel you should re-examine your judgements.
I'm not sure why my comment offended you so much. I can assure you I am just as happy as you are that these dogs were taken in and will now be cared for.

My main concern was about Refeeding Syndrome as it kills more often than you might think. Even if the vet clinic had given these dogs regular dog food I would have felt compelled to mention that it might not have been the best option. The utmost care needs to be taken when reintroducing food to a starved animal (or human as Refeeding Syndrome killed many people after they were released from Concentration Camps in WWII).

I also realise that the vet clinic could have easily turned these dogs away and that they of course only had the best intentions when feeding these dogs. Perhaps they don't treat a lot of starving animals and they didn't know about the possible consequences.

I'm sorry my thoughts on the matter offended you.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Sometimes it's best to get up from the pc and take a break. Hope you are feeling better soon.:hug8:
I am glad the pups got food and shelter.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
It was a human hospital the dogs walked into, not a veterinary hospital.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

It wasn't even a vet clinic. Even still, bacon and sausages are better than nothing, I realize that. The fact they took in the 2 puppies, and took quick action by giving them food and finding them somewhere safe was especially very nice considerate. They are okay, and that is what matters most.

pinfeathered

Meeting neighbors
touching story, and an awesome testament to the intelligence of animals other than humans. I'm aware of re-feeding syndrome but I think these little guys needed all the nourishment they got, and you don't know if they were fed enough to get them sick. This was heartwarming, thanks for posting :)

Traveler

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Traveler
Poor puppies glad the hospital didnt turn them away!

On the story about that cat, its so strange how they do that! One time this cat I named 'Valentine' he was either a stray or lived in apartments by my house. But one time he kept meowing at me and would walk a short distance turn around and meow. So I followed him and he led my to the next door neighbors car. I looked under it and there was a dead cat. I felt soooo bad for Valentine and how he felt someone should know about this poor cat. I later buried it in my back yard. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.