• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Nests

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! Are you breeding fife canaries exclusively or other kinds too?

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
I am hoping in the near future to take pictures of my birds individually. Something to look back on with pride.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Yay! Congratulations! :cngrt5:

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Those eggs and chicks must be so tiny :heart: hope all goes smoothly!

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Congrats on your chicks and eggs!

Jogging around the block
:congrats5:
I hope all goes well with them , they're beautiful little birds!

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
I know, I know, pictures. Coming soon. But I checked the nest and all 5 eggs have hatched. It looks like they will become white chicks, like dad. Now I just hope they all survive this challenging time. Dad is diligently feeding mom. And mom is feeding and keeping a close eye on the babies. Even Dad has taken turns laying on the chicks. Hoping and praying for the best!

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
To my surprise there is a fifth chick in the nest. All the chicks bundled together made it hard to get an accurate count. Dad is a very determined parent. He is very persistent in feeding the hen. Even when she refuses his food, he tries until she accepts.

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
About 15 min ago I found all five chicks dead in the nest. Flat and one even has an opening near the belly. Might the parents have gotten aggressive and not truly ready to be parents. They fed, and protected them. Im really bummed out right now. Feel like this beautiful batch of white chicks could have been something special. But now I dont know what happened. Talk about feeling down! Embarrassed to say but I feel like crying.

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
A few days ago I decided to put up three nests. Happy to report each has eggs in it. I decided to keep my windows closed to keep heat and humidity down.
This should help prevent fast food spoilage. Although I am going to change it out sooner.

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
As of today I have three nests with eggs and one nest in progress. I sure hope things go better this time round. Several hens are so desperate to makes nests. One keeps trying to make a nest above my closet--lol.
I put up several of my security perches. It took a good week before they were used. I wasnt sure whether they would use them. But now I feel good about putting up the rest.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What's a security perch? Are canaries seasonal breeders or are they opportunistic, like budgies?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow!
I have 2 or 3 canary babies under one hen, 2 clear eggs under another.
Gouldians seem to have just 1 baby.
The society finches had 10 babies/3 nests but now there is only the nest of 7. :(

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
They breed according to the duration of light. During the moulting period I dont breed (obvioulsy), otherwise they seem eager to nest throughout the year. I just made sure to give them ample time to rest. Hoping this year will bring many healthy chicks. There is no guarantee. Just when I think its smooth sailing, something goes awry. So Im cautiously optimistic. Today I put a pair in a breeding cage. The hen immediatley started building a nest! That was fast!!!!

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
Wow!
I have 2 or 3 canary babies under one hen, 2 clear eggs under another.
Gouldians seem to have just 1 baby.
The society finches had 10 babies/3 nests but now there is only the nest of 7. :(
What do you feed your canary chicks while in the nest?