• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Two more finches going down hill

fluff86

Walking the driveway
They all have there heads tucked sleeping.

I might try again once I have some S76 on hand. I will buy 4 more Zebra Finches and try again and if those die as well then that will be my last attempt keeping Zebra Finches Its miserable watching them slowly die.

The canaries don't seem to be affected.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I will do. They say never give up on your dreams. I will get everything such as medications and sprays and the aviary will be cleaned. I still have some finches left but there is no telling how long they will last.

Its highly likely my two Canaries have been affected as well but they not currently showing any signs of illness yet so whatever this is, is just affecting the finches... maybe Canaries are more hardy so it takes them longer to react to illness.

Words can't describe how I feel about losing my birds. All I can do is try again but it will be a while before I get a second lot of finches as I will need to do some cleaning and preparation for when I do get a second lot. I've still got some left but I've lost hope on trying to save them because I have nothing to treat them with. The pet stores have nothing and online orders are taking forever to arrive.

I'll still have my two Canaries hopefully those wont fall ill too soon. Everything just feels so negative right now.

If only pet stores in the UK sold birds meds I could have saved my flock.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I'm going to see if I can get one of the dead finches examined to see if the illness can be identified but because its Christmas now its not likely I'll be seen until after the new year. Somebody suggested it could be Coccidiosis. Its also possible they could be suffering from a lack of Vitamin D. Maybe they aren't getting there required full spectrum of light. The weather is very dull and I don't have a whole lot of light entering my home, the lighting is barely enough to keep plants alive. I have got some supplemental 6500K lighting but its probably not going to cut it. I don't really have the funds to be running tonnes of lighting as energy prices are extremely high in the UK now so compromises have to be met.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry that this is happening.

If you're planning to get a necropsy, don't store the bodies in a freezer. Freezing will destroy cells.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Vitamin D3 deficiency would not result in massive die offs like this, and takes a long time. They can also get D3 from their food, whether that's pellets, eggs, or a multivitamin.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Vitamin D3 deficiency would not result in massive die offs like this, and takes a long time. They can also get D3 from their food, whether that's pellets, eggs, or a multivitamin.
So this would narrow things down further to decease of some kind, or parasite issue. I can treat the parasite issue externally but if any of the birds have internal parasites it maybe to late as I've no meds to give them. I partly blame myself because I should have got all this stuff like S76 well before I got finches. If only I could nail the issue with some meds I might just be able to save a couple of breeding pairs. Its really frustrating its taking so long for my S76 to arrive when I desperately need it.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I'm relying solely on diatomaceous earth I don't even know if I've got the right kind. I went for the 100% natural kind which is a brown powder. It says on the bag its for live stock and can be used in animal feed so I'm guessing I've got the correct stuff.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
its not likely I'll be seen until after the new year
Not likely?
Have you called your vet to explain this situation and request an emergency appointment for the living/ill?
They will likely have the meds you need on hand and can give/sell you a small canister.
If I had multiple birds dying and more sick, and my vet couldn´t squeeze me in somewhere, I´d be looking for a new vet.

To add to what Tka said, you can store bodies you want a necropsy done on in a ziploc bag in the fridge.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I have been to a few vets for help but none have been able to offer me any meds they just recommend things that I can buy online which is all similar to S76. There aren't many avian vets around and here in London vets are very busy especially at this time of year. Its the worse possible time to start losing birds. There are some places I'm yet to try like some zoo's and bird sanctuaries but its highly unlikely they will be allowed to sell me any medicine for them but worth a try.

Perhaps there might be some bird breeders in London who could sell me a bit.

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you contacted CJ Hall in East Sheen? If you explain the situation, they may be able to squeeze you in.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Well I have something interesting to share that is a bit more positive. I had another dying finch yesterday that I put into the hospital cage that went into a warm airing cuboard. I have been keeping her in the airing cupboard where its very warm with a light and I've managed to keep her alive she is eating and drinking so if I can keep her body temperature warm then maybe there could be a small glimmer of hope that she might pull through and I'll do the same with any more dying finches. I was not expecting to see her still alive this morning.

My heating system is pretty terrible I only get heat in the bathroom and airing cupboard, all other rooms are cold so the finches maybe too cold. I have electric heaters but I don't trust them so I refuse to use them just encase.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
The poorly finch is making progress... however I always find that I speak too soon. She can't balance herself well but shes more active and calling out to the others but I can not put her back with them because if I move her away from the heat source she will decline and die. The warmth has been keeping her going but she'll be missing her partner and her chicks died just before she got ill which is a shame because the male was a grey color and she is a black cheek finch so I would have had some interesting chicks. I did think about seeing If can get the male in the hospital cage with her but I'll just end up stressing out my birds trying to catch him so I'll just concentrate on keeping her alive and anymore that end up on the aviary floor puffed up with there heads tucked. They are easy to pick up and move but while they are flying there is no point stressing them out trying to catch the sick birds.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor little bird, I hope she makes it. How cold is the bird area?

fluff86

Walking the driveway
The bird area I'm guessing gets down to around 10 to 8 Celsius. The breeder who I bought them from kept them in outdoor aviaries so I imagine they are acclimated to colder temperatures and also because they are now living indoors the change in environment may have impacted there health, however I did notice that one finch was already sick two days after buying them. They were more likely already ill or caught the illness from the sick bird.

The breeder had a lot of them and when there are lots of birds in an enclosure, disease can break out.

Toxins are another issue I've had to deal with but I normally do a good job at keeping toxins out of my home. The area outside of my front door is a shared enclosed space and often I would have smells that wafting up that come through my poorly insulated front door like incense smoke or paint fumes. I know none of these things are good for birds but I believe that the illness was already present before I had to start fending off toxins from getting inside my home.

The birds are kept in the living room behind a solid door which does a good job at keeping out smells and toxins, however its not a solution to the problem but it helps a lot to keep things minimal.

I am currently working on some plans to seal my front door from smells and toxins. I have put tape around the edges of the door for tonight and tomorrow morning I'm starting work on it and I'm also going to add some extra insulation to the living room door for good measure. Today the communal area reeks of gloss paint and is very strong because one of the neighbors has decided to paint the outside of his door.

Last edited:

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Just an update on the poorly finch she is still alive and somewhat active but shes looking worse and has began shaking and her balance isn't too good so I'm not sure how long she has. She is still eating and has had some boiled egg and plenty of seed.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I am just wondering can I mix any ibuprofen or aspirin in some water to help a poorly finch?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
NO

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Thats too bad. With no meds I'm probably going to have to give up trying to save finches now because with no S76 its hopeless. I'm very frustrated with the ebay seller. This is what I get when I have to rely on others. They are happy to take your money but could not care less about whether you get item or not or in good time but sadly that is the world we live in today.

The poorly finch is barely hanging on now I'd say that this is her last day. She has stopped eating and just wants to sleep.

My other birds are still itching like crazy. I'm losing total hope on everything. I have one more black cheek finch left who is nesting but about to go the same way.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you have a vet you can call on for advice or meds?