• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Hen Pair, 9 Eggs, What Should I Do Now?

kiwimango0

Moving in
Hey all,
I need to ask a question. I have a lovebird for almost 3 years and she was showing mating behaviour. So we got another one for breeding almost 40 days ago. They started to get eggs but the new bird was spending a lot of time in the nest so I started to get suspicious about its gender. This morning I checked the nest box, there were 6 eggs, but now there are 9 eggs. So I am pretty sure that the new bird is also hen. What should I do now? Remove the nest box? Change the new bird with another? We were so excited when we got the first egg but now we are very disappointed.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This morning I checked the nest box, there were 6 eggs, but now there are 9 eggs.
One egg takes 24-48hours to lay, so it is unlikely three eggs appeared since the morning unless you have three hens.

Maybe a couple were hiding under the paper?

Ultimately, if they are two hens, if they are happy together, leave them together? Birds don´t need to breed to be happy. They can be happy with a partner, a friend :)

kiwimango0

Moving in
Should I remove the nest box or wait couple days to complete their egg laying process? Does removing nest box causes stress?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Please can you tell me what date each egg was laid on? If this has been going in for 20 days it could be two clutches.

kiwimango0

Moving in
1st Nov. 21
2nd Nov.23
3rd Nov. 27
6th Dec. 9
7th and 8th Dec. 10
9th Dec. 11

I could not remember the exact date of 4th and 5th but I am guessing it was the first week of Dec.

Also I heard some noises today and checked the nest box, I could not see clearly but they were looking like mating. I am confused again :S

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Males will sit in the nest and brood eggs too.
Candle the eggs. See if they are fertile, if not, remove them all and the nest box. Move the perches and toys around in the cage when removing eggs. And add in some foraging activities.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Is there a reason you want to breed the birds? It doesn't sound like you have the experience or research to do that.

Get dummy eggs or large marbles (not the small ones!), and swap them for the eggs. Let the birds sit on the fake eggs/marbles for the incubation period (28 days) and then remove them and remove the nest box.

If you get rid of the eggs and don't give them fake eggs to sit on they will just keep laying eggs, which is very hard on the body.

Good luck.