• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two cockatiels?

Petzal

Moving in
Hi, I’m trying to get my cockatiel a friend. And I don’t know if I should get him a female or a male friend, I do have time for him, I care for him but I want to get him a friend because he talks to himself a lot. Lol I’m just kidding (he does though..) I just feel it would be better for him to have another cockatiel around since they are social birds. 38780981-D401-44C7-A45F-CEB37AEB5CAD.jpeg

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Hi there ! If you get another male you won't have to worry about egg laying, but you would have the volume turned up x2 :D
If you get a female you may have to worry about egg laying and buy some dummy eggs. Also, with a female you definately would need another cage if the male decides to engage in adult behaviour when the female is still too young.
You may need 2 cages regardless, sometimes birds don't always get along.

Petzal

Moving in
Hi there ! If you get another male you won't have to worry about egg laying, but you would have the volume turned up x2 :D
If you get a female you may have to worry about egg laying and buy some dummy eggs. Also, with a female you definately would need another cage if the male decides to engage in adult behaviour when the female is still too young.
You may need 2 cages regardless, sometimes birds don't always get along.
Ok thanks, I think it would be better getting a male

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Two males will get along just as well as two females, minus the adult stuff :)

Dominic and Alex , two famous cockatiels, follow each other everywhere and are father and son. There's lots of videos of them on youtube, as Alex makes some impressionable honks.

Petzal

Moving in
Two males will get along just as well as two females, minus the adult stuff :)

Dominic and Alex , two famous cockatiels, follow each other everywhere and are father and son. There's lots of videos of them on youtube, as Alex makes some impressionable honks.
So cute, my cockatiel Harper does the same bobbing his head and he sings if your happy and you know it ( he hasn’t gotten all of it yet lol) and he hits his beak on stuff mostly on the window he flys on

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Females don't do the head bob sadly! You could teach your tiel to drum if you want to :D
I taught my female to spread wings, fetch but she doesnt mimic whistles, beak bang or dance ;D

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have 6 tiels - 4 males and 2 females. 2 males are very bonded to each other. Another pair - a male and female are somewhat bonded - they share a cage. They preen each other - that is a new behavior within the last year but so far - they do not mate. Another male likes to be with the 2 bonded males. And another female...she likes to be with me.

There is no guarantee that another tiel will get along with the one you have. Even though mine do not all get along with each other - I do think they like the company of each other.

The tiel in your pic looks like a female. (very cute!)

Petzal

Moving in
I have 6 tiels - 4 males and 2 females. 2 males are very bonded to each other. Another pair - a male and female are somewhat bonded - they share a cage. They preen each other - that is a new behavior within the last year but so far - they do not mate. Another male likes to be with the 2 bonded males. And another female...she likes to be with me.

There is no guarantee that another tiel will get along with the one you have. Even though mine do not all get along with each other - I do think they like the company of each other.

The tiel in your pic looks like a female. (very cute!)
Hi, Thanks! In that picture I was on my way to get a gender test for him, he didn’t have his first molt yet, and the people that I bought him from said it was a girl but he was singing so so so much and he squawks in the mirror every time, and I heard females don’t sing as much. This is him now

Attachments

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I was looking to get tiels, people kept telling me that two males would attack each other, even my breeder said he wouldn't recommend it. Based on that, I went for a male and a female. I'm wondering if this is an ouddated belief? Or are they basing this on other birds? I just can't seem to find any information about it and I see so many male tiels getting along.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My, what a crest!!!! Even as a baby, you can see just how long it is!!!! Someone must be breeding for that trait!

Agree, get another male! No guarantees they'll get along but tiels usually do co-mingle well even if they don't like each other!

Petzal

Moving in
My, what a crest!!!! Even as a baby, you can see just how long it is!!!! Someone must be breeding for that trait!

Agree, get another male! No guarantees they'll get along but tiels usually do co-mingle well even if they don't like each other!
Thanks lol he does have a very long crest I love him, he’s such a good boy :heart:

Petzal

Moving in
When I was looking to get tiels, people kept telling me that two males would attack each other, even my breeder said he wouldn't recommend it. Based on that, I went for a male and a female. I'm wondering if this is an ouddated belief? Or are they basing this on other birds? I just can't seem to find any information about it and I see so many male tiels getting along.
I heard it depends on the birds if they get along or not. Some are mean, some are super friendly, some are super attached to you and might get jealous of that bird