• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Caiques and a Amazon?

Alayna

Moving in
I have two baby caiques, sisters from two different clutches but same parents and I have had Lily since was three months old and Rora since she was three months old. I will have have had for them a year in August. They are incredibly social and a bonded pair. Both are female dna confirmed.
What I was wondering is if they are young enough for me to introduce a new bird, particularly a baby female amazon? Or possible an older female amazon. I heard caiques don’t like birds when they get older but I wondering if anyone tried to add to their flock when the caiques were younger

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmm I'm not sure. Let me call a few Zon owners in.

@Hawk12237
I know you've owned both. I'm trying to think who else! For the life of me I can't come up w/ anyone...

@Love My Zons
You know some of the Zon members better than I. Thoughts?

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
I am a very new caique owner but not a new parrot owner. I have two caique boys who are brothers from the same clutch and they get along excellently but they are also just over 4 months old. Based on my research it looks like I won't be allowed to add any more birdies but let me know what you decide because I am curious.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I would not recommend you mix them. Frankly, someone is likely to get hurt. Amazon's are much bigger and caiques are fierce when they want to be. I realise caiques and they will even attack other caiques close to their age if not Introduced properly (properly means, over time and in accordance with each bird's personality). I hope that helps. You can certainly have another bird but I would not plan on them getting along.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
So basically I could have both but keep them separated in different rooms?
Yes, you can have them in the same room even but probably not out at the same time, also you would have to keep them from landing on one anthers cages. Birds like to attack the feet of those who land on their cages while they are inside.

Also, I don't think the age is a big issue so there would be no rush as far as the caiques are concerned.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I have two baby caiques, sisters from two different clutches but same parents and I have had Lily since was three months old and Rora since she was three months old. I will have have had for them a year in August. They are incredibly social and a bonded pair. Both are female dna confirmed.
What I was wondering is if they are young enough for me to introduce a new bird, particularly a baby female amazon? Or possible an older female amazon. I heard caiques don’t like birds when they get older but I wondering if anyone tried to add to their flock when the caiques were younger
Ok....I have had both. Caiques will depend upon their upbringing in how they actually pan out.
Theoretically, they can be hypersensitive. Jealous as all heck. And can be aggressive, not always. Fredistare, a clique I had , got a long ok with my birds. Though he was the first one every morning to stir up the pot and get under the skin of others.
They never fought, but had to always keep an eye open. Now with Amazon's, they can very. Many Amazon's are protective of their cage. I'm on my third amozon. My prior two were females. And both very very good with other birds. Poppers was recent , BFA, she was best buddies with my grey, would sit with a senegal, and sit beside a budgie.
Never a problem.
Now my DYH Amazon is male, and won't tolerate another bird in its space, ok in distance, but not share the gym, play stand, or cage... He'll go into defense mode.
Other birds will see and view this as a threat
And will be imprinted in each other as not liking each other. So never force two or three onto each other. It will never work that way.
Introduction is done on neutral grounds. Such as a new giant perch none have shared or called theirs. Food or treats shared for say, treat time,
is a good idea. I have my grey on shoulder, and DYH on hand and give each treats. But always ready to intervene in split second. And this last for 10-15 minutes then seperated. This allows for flock time and together time, and says it's ok to all be together. It works for some, others not. So always be ready.
My case right now is that they are both males, whom in my opinion can be bossy at each other.
So, my honest opinion....I would tread carefully with a Zon and ciaques. It's not impossible, but not recommended if you are one not to watch them closely hours each day, not minutes, hours!!!! You need eyes behind your head. And a good deal of know how with birds. Because if not, you run the risk of a serious vet visit. And cleaning blood up. And it's no joke. It's all a matter of common sense.
If your up to it, and keep them at bay, then go for it. You'll always have our guidance here.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have 2 caiques and several other species. The female caique doesn’t care at all about other birds. The male picks out certain one’s and relentlessly goes after them. I can’t take them in the bird room any more; it’s too likely that something will happen even though I’m right there.
It sucks because this limits their out of cage time.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
no they will get along fine

best buddies, lovely photos

Until you wake up one day and find a bloody pulp where your amazon used to be

Alayna

Moving in
I’ve decided not to get an amazon. My birds are my life and I wouldn’t want any accidents