• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two budgies getting along?

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
I couldn't think of a good title for this thread, sorry.
I usually look through Craigslist semi-frequently to see if there is anyone selling something I might be interested in, such as a really cheap flight cage or even a budgie they are rehoming (as I've been planning on getting a second budgie for a while and don't want to get one from a pet store) and the other day an ad came up for a male budgie, about a year and a half old, who is hand tamed. He is being rehomed due to the fact that he doesn't get along well with the person's other budgie. I saw a picture of the bird in its cage, which was barely big enough to be a travel cage, and instantly reached out to the person. I have had one of those 18x18x30 inch flight cages set up in my brother's room for a couple of weeks now, in case I found a bird that might be a good fit. Having a bigger cage already set up made me even more willing to try and give this budgie a better home. I would have rescued a budgie that was not hand tame, but unfortunately, I just don't have the time for that at the moment, and probably won't for a few years.
Anyways, as we were trying to figure out a time that works with our schedules for me to pick the budgie up, my mom expressed the concern that since the budgie didn't get along with the person's other budgie, it might not get along well with Kaladin. I am prepared for this possibility, but am wondering how likely it is, and if I should even continue trying to peruse this bird. Apparently they've had another person express interest in the bird, and due to all of the schedule conflicts, I just want to be sure that it'll be worth the effort. I mean, no matter what, it will be, I just want to be able to accurately weigh the odds of the two birds getting along well.
Thank you!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is Kaladin a male & are you sure the prospective budgie is male too? If so, I say go for it.

Based on what you've said, the issue between this person's budgies may be down to a lack of space. You don't have that problem. Pistachio & Marzipan didn't get along 'till they got a flight cage.

My experience with male budgies has been totally positive. Aurelius & Winston took to each other too, after about a week of side-by-side cages. They were different ages too.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Budgies are flock animals and tend to get along rather well naturally. There is the odd case here and there when a pair of any gender just don't along. As already pointed out this fellow you're looking at was likely in a small cage. While they flock together they do need some space to just get away from each other now and then.
Of course this will be worth your effort. From what you've typed I can tell this is what you want.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What's the current story @Bookwyrm ? Did you get him?

Having a bigger cage already set up made me even more willing to try and give this budgie a better home.
I have to remember that my TRAVEL cage (yes, it's pretty darn big), is an EXTRA cage....!!!
I keep saying - "EXTRA cage" to myself! Otherwise, I'd probably wind up with at least 2 more! :D Hope you were able to rescue this little one.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
Well, unfortunately, I wasn't able to bring him home. There didn't seem to be any times that worked with both of our schedules, and someone else contacted the person and was able to take him.
I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to add a second bird to my little flock, but I've been trying for months now, and things keep falling through... So... We'll see.
Thank you all for the advice, though! It was more or less what I was expecting, but I've been having some pretty intense anxiety whenever I get closer to the reality of getting a second bird, so this will be good to remember for the future. Y'all are awesome!