• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two boys fighting

Jaquilee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jacquie
I’ve two male Linnies. I had two together for eight years. Then one died, I’ve a youngster now to keep my surviving male company. I took plenty of time introduced them and they’ve been happily sharing a cage for a few months. They’ve suddenly started squabbling tho. And my older boy has got no tail left. There’s lots of shrieking from the younger one when out of cage. They settle in the evening ok. And can be seen preening each other. Is it just spring fever ? I do have two female zebra finches in the same room although not free flying. Could that be the issue? Should I separate them during cage time?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’d personally separate any squabbling birds.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
How old is the younger one? If anywhere between 8-12 months, he could be hitting puberty. If that's the case, hopefully the behavior should pass in a few weeks. I have had my males shriek at each other (two cases in particular, both resolved themselves after time), sounds awful, but neither did any tail pulling. In one case i separated for a bit (these were two adult males getting to know each other), then put back together. In the more recent case (one young male coming of age and one adult male who were already caged together) it didn't seem as serious so I left them together.

I would doubt the zebras would cause anything, but I don't have any so can't really say :)

-NG
ps: oh I just reread your post and is the shrieking only happening when they're outside their cage? My instances were mostly in-cage and they were fine when loose in room. Are yours both fully fllighted or is one clipped and one not?