• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Birds of a Feather

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
Hello everyone. New bird-keeper (n00b as they say) here.) Just bought two budgerigars (budgies) from the pet store here after ordering a L01 Model Large (Small Bird) Cage by Vision (Hagen) on Amazon. Also ordered and set up (before bringing the birds home) toys (popsickle sticks, ring with bell on bottom, rope bridge tied to coconut home, and a flat waffle-shaped perch with toys on arms), perches, a cuttlebone holder, and of course a water dispenser. The cage also came with two additional perches and two food bowls (divided). Anyways, the males (both) are mostly quiet and sit on the waffle perch all the time. I had (have) a millet holder resting next to their perch after 3 days, which they ate from, but now have moved it to the bottom to get them to go there and discover the food dish down there (filled with food). I am worried that they may not be eating and drinking enough, and am concerned about diseases. Should I be? Anyway, pleased to meet everyone, and thanks for any help. IMG_3187.JPG IMG_3189.JPG IMG_3188.JPG

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welave:
Very cute budgies! If you just brought them home, they might still be settling in and nervous about their new environment. They should start eating more soon. Is it the same food they were eating before you got them?

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
:hello::welcomesign:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome to you and your little ones.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on your budgies. Very cute babies. If you just got them then give them time to settle into their new surroundings. Besides the dishes you put on the bottom can you put some higher up. Do you just have the water bottle or also a dish with water?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh, also, I couldn't tell from the picture, but if they have a water bottle, make sure they know how to use it.

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
:welave:
Very cute budgies! If you just brought them home, they might still be settling in and nervous about their new environment. They should start eating more soon. Is it the same food they were eating before you got them?

Welcome to AA. Congrats on your budgies. Very cute babies. If you just got them then give them time to settle into their new surroundings. Besides the dishes you put on the bottom can you put some higher up. Do you just have the water bottle or also a dish with water?

Oh, also, I couldn't tell from the picture, but if they have a water bottle, make sure they know how to use it.

@Tiel Feathers: Not the same food they had, I know, but since moving the millet to the bottom of the cage I have seen them eating it! Why not? Lol. It was inexpensive, but high rated on Amazon and smells good even to me, like a trail mix. Heck, were it not unsafe and I not on a diet I would be tempted to eat it myself.

@iamwhoiam They have a water tube on a narrow dispenser, but I don't know if they are using it... I moved it beside their favorite perch for easy access. The pet store did have their water on the bottom of the cage in a housed bowl type thing. Tomorrow I will fill the adjacent divided bowl with water and see if that helps! Thx for the idea!

@Tiel Feathers It's NOT a water bottle like hamsters and guinea pigs use (the metal ones with a ball in the end of the tube). It's by a company called JW and has a long clear tube on it for water dispensing and a short, narrow "trough" for water access. I don't know if they are drinking from it or not, and if they even know how to.

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
@Tiel Feathers @BlueAbyss @expressmailtome @iamwhoiam @zoo mom : Thank You guys very much for the kind welcome! I appreciate it. Update: They are starting to get more acclimated and comfortable to their new home as I have seen them moving around some and chirping a little. The new "Parakeets" (improper generalized term) App I bought helps as it plays budgie sounds in the background and they immediately start talking back to it and become quite active. They are still afraid of me and my hand, however, although they don't move too much even with my hand in the cage.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Welcome to AA! Your budgies are so cute :heart: I'm glad to hear they are becoming more comfortable and are enjoying the app too! I have one of those tube water dispensers and it works well for us.
I like iamwhoiam's suggestions to put some food higher up as well as the stuff lower. My girl ate from a dish on the floor of the cage at the bird store, but preferred to eat higher up at home. Petco has really inexpensive little food cups so you can have a variety.

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
Welcome to AA! Your budgies are so cute :heart: I'm glad to hear they are becoming more comfortable and are enjoying the app too! I have one of those tube water dispensers and it works well for us.
I like iamwhoiam's suggestions to put some food higher up as well as the stuff lower. My girl ate from a dish on the floor of the cage at the bird store, but preferred to eat higher up at home. Petco has really inexpensive little food cups so you can have a variety.

@schnitzle Thank You for the welcome and suggestions! I appreciate them, but as of now I have seen them physically go down there and eat the seed mix I have down there, so I don't feel a feeder up higher in the cage is necessary. Not only that, but the cage is specially designed to have a lower transparent "guard" that prevents them from tossing it out of the cage and making big messes, and if I am going to have to remove the base to clean up their cage instead of a convenient slide-out tray, like most have, I'm going to take advantage of the guard. Thanks for the tips, however...

Last edited:

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
Update Everyone: I have decided their human names: Blue and White male budgie is named Shen (like o-shen (Ocean), but only more Chinese/Japanese/Etc. Green and Yellow one I named Avie, pronounced Ah-Vee. Named after an Aviary.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think that water tube should be fine. They are probably drinking out of it, but they need such a small amount of water you probably just didn't see them do it. Beautiful names btw!

Blue-Wing

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
I think that water tube should be fine. They are probably drinking out of it, but they need such a small amount of water you probably just didn't see them do it. Beautiful names btw!

Thank You! BTW the water is supplemented with vitamin drops. I hope it helps!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You probably don't need the vitamin drops, they may make the water taste funny and they might be hesitant to drink it. Vitamins can also make bacteria grow faster. If they are on a healthy diet, with pellets, a good seed mix, and fresh veggies, they shouldn't need vitamins.