• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Twitching/pulsing vent

rueben1103

Meeting neighbors
Hi all, I picked up my new budgie yesterday, female. I was told she is in breeding condition (cere scabbing over) and she’s been pestering a couple of males!
Since I’ve brought her home (she appears to have settled well) but her vent is twitching a lot! Is this hormonal does anyone know?
She’s been eating and drinking, looks well, flying fine and chirpy. I’ve had to give her a bit of a clean up as she has dried poop on her feathers (she’s an exhibition budgie) so quite a lot of feathers but just thought I’d see what you all think! :)
Thanks

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can’t really answer that, but my Cherry-headed Conure’s vent will wink sometimes. I also know that he is hormonal right now.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Could be hormonal or not. Since she is a new bird in your flock she should have a generalized vet check soon. Did you change her diet? Please post her photo. Would love to see her.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She’s beautiful! Her cere looks like there is a bit of the crusty, dark brown at the bottom suggesting she is a bit broody. That winking vent may come and go over the next few weeks.

rueben1103

Meeting neighbors
She’s beautiful! Her cere looks like there is a bit of the crusty, dark brown at the bottom suggesting she is a bit broody. That winking vent may come and go over the next few weeks.
Thankyou! Can I ask, if she is broody would my male breed with her, just on the off or do they need to be bonded to breed? I really don’t want baby budgies (as much as I do!)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They may mate or not. No one could really tell you that. But that doesn’t mean that she will definitely lay eggs. A hen can lay eggs with or without a male present. Make sure they are getting plenty of sleep/dark time at night (12 hours minimum). Be sure there are no snuggle huts, mirrors, or places in the cage that could look like nice, dark nesting areas.

Are they feeding one another? Is the male doing the ‘sexy budgie dance’ for her?