• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

twin the budgie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
just found her at the bottom, with lenny, her lineolated parakeet. husband says her legs looked like they were not moving. he brought her to me, her legs feel cold, she is not in distress. she is looking around, i am keeping her warm in my hand. i lost her momma to being egg bound, i am worried. i am looking it up now, but hope someone can help. she is our sweet tame budgie. i do not feel an egg at her vent. there is no blood, they do not fight.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please try and relax............

Keep your bird warm 85-87 degrees ambient and make sure it has water. Do you have an avian vet with 24 hour services? Think what the bird has been doing all day. Has it been eating and drinking? What do the last poops look like? If the bird is not drinking on it's own, offer plain pedealyte mixed 50/50 with water drop by drop on the bird tongue. If the bird is weak offer a couple of drops of Karo syrup. Please keep us updated on information about the bird.

Do you want the forum to look for an avian vet for you?

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
right after i posted, she seemed to perk up, and thought she was trying to stand. then she latched onto my thumb like she was having a seizure....she pooped. she bit incredibly hard like she had no control. emergency vet is dog and cat. she is now still, looking around. i dont want her to die in my hand...

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
We all know how you feel and would like to help you if we can. Tell us more about what is going on with the bird. If it is a seizure it can be from many things. Tell us about diet, what the bird has been chewing on. Is the bird near the kitchen? Need the poop information as far as color, size, diarrhea, bubbles, etc.

gary

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
We all know how you feel and would like to help you if we can. Tell us more about what is going on with the bird. If it is a seizure it can be from many things. Tell us about diet, what the bird has been chewing on. Is the bird near the kitchen? Need the poop information as far as color, size, diarrhea, bubbles, etc.

gary

bird is near kitchen, but we all safe cookware. do not use aerosol. no plants nearby. we went to mothers house to cellebrate coming baby, came home and he found her. she just seized again, wings fully extended, feet all the way behind her, both of them. poopie is watery, but went everywhere. I am watching for next fresh poopie. poopie had white, colored bit seemed to have dark flecks or veins in it. going to offer her water, but not force.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
How is your bird doing?

If the bird is calm offer a drop of dextrose or karo syrup on the tongue. This will help the bird recover from a seizure. Do not force fluids it it is seizing.

Could the bird have had night fright while you were gone and fell?

gary

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
How is your bird doing?

If the bird is calm offer a drop of dextrose or karo syrup on the tongue. This will help the bird recover from a seizure. Do not force fluids it it is seizing.

Could the bird have had night fright while you were gone and fell?

gary
I just dont know. she has never has night frights. She will be 1 year old this summer, august.
she is resting now.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please call and discuss tonights events with your avian vet in the AM.

Keep the bird warm, relaxed and hydrated. Soft music may help with the bird relaxing.

Please keep us posted.

gary

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
I know you guys are not vets, I am not trying to replace vet care, but I found this...

In emergency the bird should be wrapped in a warm towel and be held near a fire; when it has partially recovered it should then be placed in a cage near the fire and left alone. The egg will usually be laid under these conditions; some people advocate holding the affected bird over a jug containing very hot water, i.e., giving the bird a steam bath; the disadvantage of this is that the bird may recover from the egg-binding but contract a chill later. This is less likely to happen with dry heat.

I am keeping her warm. Does the steam bath work or is this a myth? I dont want to compound things, but I feel helpless.

latest poopie is mostly white, little bit of green matter. no feces on tail, i dont think she has diareah.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I agree with Gary's suggestions.

As to the droppings, can you take a pix of them and post? If you look in the cage are all the droppings in the same area (shows inactivity) or randon places on the cage floor (shows the bird was active)

Has anything changed in her cage or environment? Is she a chewer? If you don't feel it is egg binding, the symptons you are describing can also be from metal toxicity.

Hopefully the vet can be able to give more answers.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
latest poopie is mostly white, little bit of green matter. no feces on tail, i dont think she has diareah.
What texture was the white? Meaning thick and puffy (this could be yeast or pancreatic problems) or thin and gritty (could be renal/kidney problems) Was the green matter feces, or some of the white urates discolored? (discolored urates, could be a bacterial infection, or liver problems)

What was she eating prior to the change in her?

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
I thought of pics, and the camera was near dead, i am charging it now. Ilooked in her cage for funny poops, didnt see any, and poopie is not in one spot. I looked to see if a foreign object was in there, nothing. She is very active and plays a lot. I use bird clip for toys, not household things like twist ties, to avoid toxicity probs.
the white material in poopie looks like white out, same thickness and consistency. the colors of the matter look normal, i will take a pic soon. She has a budgie seed mix, shares the linnies mix sometimes, and has lots of dark greens. She also likes apple no seed. i am going back to look around her cage for metal things.

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
I called, and the lady told the doc her symptoms, he said he was not sure what they could do. They said bring her in anyways, if she was bad they would put her down. So I got her carrier, but she seized hard so I let her be. Left her with my husband, used the bathroom, and she passed before I returned.
I do not feel an egg.
Husband is now worried about Lenny, as he has been with us. Lenny and Twin were best buddies. She was more quiet as he laid by her side.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh, I'm so very sorry your faby didn't make it. :( :hug5:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so very very sorry for your loss dear..Leave Lenny be for now...I feel that she was eggbound...too young to have an egg for sure...however, leave Lenny be. he needs to be allowed to mourn first..often the survival instinct will kick in on t hose left behind and if presented with a new buddy too soon they will think that you are making a substitution and will reject the newcomer outright..leave him be....also if she was not eggbound you need to find the source of the problem...what killed her so that Lenny is not in danger as well...so sorry dear.:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so very sorry for your loss.:hug8:
I know you guys are not vets, I am not trying to replace vet care, but I found this...

In emergency the bird should be wrapped in a warm towel and be held near a fire; when it has partially recovered it should then be placed in a cage near the fire and left alone. The egg will usually be laid under these conditions; some people advocate holding the affected bird over a jug containing very hot water, i.e., giving the bird a steam bath; the disadvantage of this is that the bird may recover from the egg-binding but contract a chill later. This is less likely to happen with dry heat.
The part in red does not sound right to me. Put a bird near a fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.