• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tweety bird beak.

Will his beak ever grow back to full use?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh my goodness what an adorable fluff! :faint: I'm glad he eats okay.

I will tag @webchirp because she knows a bit about special needs beaks and @finchly because she knows the littles so well.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What a darling!!!! Cute little clown hair.

Was it like this when he was born, or is it an injury? I had one that's beak was misshapen in the egg, apparently. His did not change. Normally though beaks grow (they file them down on pedi perches or wood).... so you'd think it would grow out. However as it grows it needs to be shaped correctly, best done by the vet. Otherwise it can grow too far out or sideways or whatever.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh my good gravy...adorable. It may not grow back...soft foods perhaps although I'm not sure about non hookbills.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh my good gravy...adorable. It may not grow back...soft foods perhaps although I'm not sure about non hookbills.
Yep soft foods are fine, my little guy somehow managed seed anyway. Also you can soak pellets in warm water (a long soak) and he'll be able to eat them.

J Withstandley

Moving in
Real Name
Julianne Withstandley
I feed him normal seed but when I first got him he ate baby food. He cracks the seed fine. A little sideways, but fine. I give him soft food too like eggs and mashed potatoes and corn and green beans. The French style

J Withstandley

Moving in
Real Name
Julianne Withstandley

Was it like this when he was born, or is it an injury? I had one that's beak was misshapen in the egg, apparently. His did not change. Normally though beaks grow (they file them down on pedi perches or wood).... so you'd think it would grow out. However as it grows it needs to be shaped correctly, best done by the vet. Otherwise it can grow too far out or sideways or whatever.
His parents ripped it off while feeding when first born

J Withstandley

Moving in
Real Name
Julianne Withstandley

His beak is growing a fang on one side but I trimmed it down

J Withstandley

Moving in
Real Name
Julianne Withstandley
Yep soft foods are fine, my little guy somehow managed seed anyway. Also you can soak pellets in warm water (a long soak) and he'll be able to eat them.
I tried the cook and soak. He doesn't like it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
His beak is growing a fang on one side but I trimmed it down
Yep you’ll just have to be diligent with filing or trimming.
I tried the cook and soak. He doesn't like it.
Well... they never like anything the first time. You have to keep serving it (if you want him to eat it). Some people put seed on or in the foods they want them to eat. Others serve it at different meals, like seed at breakfast and pellets at dinner. Also, different birds like things more chopped or less chopped - little divas.

But he is eating his veggies, so you don’t have to serve pellets. I like to do both, because pellets are more complete and I’m afraid of not serving enough variety in fresh foods.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
How adorable!! I think soon he'll be singing to you (figuratively speaking): "I'm everything I am beakause you loved meeeeee" :D