• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tweetie gets a Buddy

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Buddy looks much better today :heart: He has answered Tweetie's calls and Tweetie gets so excited. I just gave Buddy his nose drops and he latched onto the fleshy part of my hand to let me know what he thought of that. Ouch - the boy's got a bite on him when he wants to! Tomorrow we see the vet again but all looks so much better. Once we stop the nose drops I can start rebuilding the trust we've lost.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy saw the AV today. She gave him a treatment with oxygen and another shot. She said she could still hear a bit of rattling going on in his lungs. She said to discontinue the nose drops and check back with her in a week. He did gain 2 grams since last week. He's been fluffed up and quiet this afternoon but he's still eating well, drinking and his droppings look normal.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy looks much better this morning. He chirped first thing and his breathing is also looking good. I'm starting to get to know his little antics. Last night he jumped down to the bottom of his cage, started flapping his wings madly and chirping. Hmmm what does he want? Not fond of the seed shells going flying every where. ;)

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Last night he jumped down to the bottom of his cage, started flapping his wings madly and chirping. Hmmm what does he want?
Sam used to do this all the time when I first got her. It was her way of excercising her wings. Once she started coming out of the cage, she stopped practicing and just took pleasure in actually flying. :)

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy answered Tweetie's calls a couple of times today. Tweetie is a very vocal bird and he's copying my whistles after just 4 whistles. He's also starting to chirp like Buddy.:laughin: Tweetie has also gotten a little more timid of my hand. He'll move away from it but doesn't fly away. I think when I was gone, Buddy chirped to him and said "Watch out for the human. She'll grab you and put nasty stuff in your nose." :pinklol:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy had a pretty good day today. He and Tweetie were calling back and forth several times. Tweetie gets so excited looking around and jumping on the front of his cage when Buddy. I'm beginning to see some of Buddy's personality quirks. Whenever I walk up to him to talk, he jumps down to his food and starts eating. He is still hand - jumps to the bottom of the cage when I put my hand in, won't perch on my hand but will eat the millet when I hold it in my hand. I'll have to work on rebuilding that trust. I went to cover him at around 9pm. Guess he didn't want to go to be because he stood on his perch flapping his wings at yak yak yak at me. I'm still waiting for Buddy to perch and sing.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Great updates! I’m glad he’s feeling better :)
My birds used to do the crazy wing flapping in the beginning too, and like Lori said once they’re out and flying about that stops ( maybe rarely now one of them will do it, but they’re weirdos so....:lol:)

Thanks for keeping us posted! I cant wait for the day they finally meet! 30 days felt like 90 to me when I was quarantining Loki. It’ll be worth it though :pinklol3:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh bless his little heart. Hope he will do well on the meds! Prayers for both of you.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy is doing much better. :loveshower: Yesterday he and Tweetie were calling back and forth several times. The vet had said to keep Buddy warm and quiet. Since he seemed to be much better I took his cage into the guest bedroom to see if he wanted to come out and fly around and play. I opened his door, he looked out and put his head between his wings and went to sleep. :headsmack: In the evening he again jumped to the bottom of his cage and started flapping and then he started "fussing" at me and calling. He woke up Tweetie who just had to call back at him. I'm guessing that @Beasley would come home home from work and let all her birds out to play and fly? So maybe that's when he's used to coming out. I'll need to get him on a different schedule. After his flapping, he started chirping - sweet sound! He is very very hand shy now after being grabbed for his treatments. He jumps away from my hand and sometimes doesn't look to see that I'm offering him millet. I guess I'm almost back to square one on his taming. The vet recommends that I not put Buddy and Tweetie in the same area for 2-3 months to make sure Buddy is fully recovered. I'll use that time to get him more comfortable with me. I'm getting ready to move Buddy out of his hospital cage. What's the best way to clean the hospital cage and everything in it? Do I need to disinfect everything?

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Great news that he’s feeling better! :loveshower:
You should disinfect the hospital cage so the next time you need it (hopefully not for a long time though) there’s nothing “left behind”. Many folks here swear by F10. I have yet to try that though so I don’t know where to purchase. You could try just a basic vinegar/water mixture or scrub down with dish soap and hot water, rinsing everything thoroughly.
Hope he continues to improve!

Dorcas George

I’m so glad Buddy is better. It’s too bad for the taming setback, but we know from Beasley that he’s got a chill temperament, so hopefully that will help. Two to three months! Awww... Well we all have to be patient for the big introduction!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy ate dill this morning. :heart::happydance:I've been trying to find fresh foods that Buddy really likes. He didn't eat the broccoli and he just "tasted" the parsley stems. Today I gave him some dill and he came over and started eating it - yeah. I'm going to have to plant some in my garden. This is doubly important because I'm counting on him to teach Tweetie to eat fresh food.

Dorcas George

I’ll have to try dill. We usually have dill in the garden but that will be months from now. My husband bought mustard greens, thinking he was getting kale, and the two birdies liked it. Nothing matches their love for carrot greens though. Frost did teach Packer to try veggies, so hopefully by the time Buddy meets Tweetie he will have discovered the joy of greens!

Dorcas George

Forgot about the carrot greens - I'll try that next time I'm at the store!
I have a hard time finding them in my rural area. But it is the favorite at the moment. I hope it's a bit at your house.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Buddy is looking much better - breathing is normal. I still hear him sneezing once in a while but Tweetie does that also. The AV wanted to see him on Sat so I'll call her to see if she thinks he should still come in. He ate his dill again this morning. I'll be going to the store in a couple of days and will get him the carrot greens to try. I gave Tweetie some dill also but he wouldn't come near it. Buddy still won't step up. I put some millet seeds in my palm but he wouldn't step up to eat it. :sad7: I held a bauble of millet up to him and he did eat that. I have been holding my hand in his cage and he'll sit beside it but not too close. I don't want to do too much of that if he's going back to the AV on Sat because she'll grab him for an exam and upset him again. But if he needs to go back to the AV, he needs to go back... He really is the sweetest little guy.